Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OK, I give up, I'm losing this battle

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by alphadog, Jul 2, 2009.

1. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I can't get Selma to drop consistently :mad:

I've tried all the usual tricks (clicker training, tosing treats ont he floor, even a squirty water bottle tut tut) but she's like a clam, once she's got hold she won't give up her ball (or stick or tug etc) for anything. On the rare occasion she does drop it for a treat, she snaffles the treat and dives back onto the ball so darn fast that there's no way you can get to it before she does.

Now of course, she thinks this is all part of the game and so I'm just perpetuating the problem.

I've tried using another ball as a decoy - doesn't work, she only wants the one she has at that moment.... She shows it off, teases, parades around, throws it in the air and generally winds me up!

I think I've tried everything, but you never know, so if anyone has a special method for teaching this little madam to drop, please tell me!
    :D

2. rona

rona Guest

Will she let you put the lead on when she has something in her mouth?

3. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Just want to say, what an intelligent dog lol.

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Do you actually want her to drop it or just give it to you?

I would use a lower value object to teach giving something up and then moving on the the higher value objects (which appears is her ball)

5. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Yes, she's not possesive in that respect, she just won't give it up to continue the game even though she's under your feet dropping it onto the floor (then diving on it when you try to pick it up)

I would like her to drop.

Yep, tried that for several weeks but she had no real interest in the lower value toy and so responded really well..... fast forward to re-introducing the tennis ball and go straight to jail, do not pass go :mad:
    What did I miss?

6. rona

rona Guest

You could try putting her on the lead when she comes back, and insist that she gives you the ball in a controlled way rather than her controlling the game.
    Once she is used to giving it to you then you can try off lead. Practice at home is always a good idea, as it's not so exciting.
    Not going to be a quick fix, she's obviously having great fun ;)

7. Savahl

Savahl Guest

lol sounds like my buster.

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I don't know whether it helps, but when I'm training Tau is the only time she gets the ball, all the retrieves are done on my terms; today is too hot for training so she won't get a single one (I'm such a mean mum). The retrieves we do are part of training, so there will always be something else involved, not just focused on 'the retrieve'; I've been focusing on doing basic redirections with her over the last week or so. Also, sometimes I let her run in, at other times I make her sit and wait and mark the ball (or whatever it is I throw out) before sending her for it.

When replacing for another lower value object, I'd try keeping it out of their reach for a while, just picking the object up, even stroke it, put it in your pocket and walk round with it for a bit. If its valuable to you then it soon becomes valuable to them, this was something I used to do to get them interested in Working Trials articles, some of which were a bit odd for them to pick up in their mouths.

9. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

This is the prob rona, I made school boy errors and reinforced her behaviour, now she's loving it, you're right!!

I swear this is the terrier side of Selma, her Border Collie side drops it, backs off, lies down and stares at it (and everyone watching on goes 'woooo'!)

Yes, it helps, I'll give any new idea a try - it's just a case of finding the right one :) Ta

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice