UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this something to be concerned about in dogs? I know that in humans a large intake of oily fish increases bleeding times but does the same apply to dogs?

Mine are fed Fish4Dogs Salmon three days a week (raw the other 4) and I sometimes mix in sardines for them as well but I suddenly thought about the connection with increased bleeding times. I'm mostly concerned about Ely as he has SLO so is also on high doses of fish oils to control that.

I'm considering swapping them to Applaws as a preventative measure but as they love F4D I want to make sure that it's something that I do need to be concerned about. I've had a google but can't find anything conclusive in dogs.

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
You should stop most supplements a few days before the surgery, and maybe for a day or two after, as many of them can cause bleeding, including fish oil (salmon oil), evening primrose oil, borage oil, garlic, ginger, vitamin A, high-dose vitamin E, and white willow bark. Chondroitin may also increase bleeding, but glucosamine apparently does not. Bromelain and other proteolytic enzymes may also increase bleeding. MSM apparently can occasionally act as a blood thinner as well. Herbs that can cause blood thinning include alfalfa, chamomile, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, hawthorne, meadowsweet, dong guai, turmeric/curcumin, bilberry, feverfew, red clover and some mushrooms. See When Herbs and Surgery Don't Mix for more info.

In addition, high doses of Vitamin C may interfere with anesthesia, so again, best to discontinue for at least a day or two before surgery.

Note that aspirin is a potent blood thinner and should not be given for 7 days prior to surgery, even in small amounts. If your dog has had aspirin in the week before surgery, be sure your veterinarian knows about this.

My dog threw up dried yams (rawhide chew substitute that she had been given the day before) following surgery, so I think it's a good idea to avoid giving any kind of chew that might not be digested quickly for a couple of days before surgery.

DogAware.com Health: Caring for Dogs Before and After Surgery

Milk Thistle given before and after surgery may also help protect the liver from any effects of anesthesia.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.