Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oily Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by waxmonkey, Oct 13, 2013.

1. waxmonkey

waxmonkey PetForums Junior

My cat was constipated last week so we opted to feed him a small anmount of tuna in sunflower oil. It solved the constipation issue no problem but his oily mouth meant he groomed his flanks and made them all oily. He is now sulking and, despite my best efforts to wash him with baby soap, he's having none of it. I'm happy to persist with this option but just thought I'd ask for your help if any of you have experienced a similar issue.
    Thanks

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

no experience but my advice would be to leave him in peace to clean it off at his own pace.

3. waxmonkey

Thanks for the response. That's what I'm doing right now but he's obviously not a happy cat so I just wondered if there was a way to hurry it along for him.

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

A propper shampoo is the only way to get grease out, but will he tolerate that? Baby soap will just make it worse as there's so much oil in that all ready to moisturise baby skin.

5. waxmonkey

yeah, I think a cat shampoo is in order. I'll buy him some tomorrow if he hasn't sorted himself out by then through licking and so forth. I assume licking will reduce it to some degree.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Bathing him will just add more stress. Let him be, he'll get himself cleaned up in a day or two. :)

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

you could try some unscented baby wipes to rub down the area, that may be more easily tolerated than any full scale washing. or dilute a tiny amount of baby shampoo in warm water and try washing the area with a damp flannel.

8. waxmonkey

I sure hope so lorilu. He's just mooching around on the windowsill all afternoon feeling sorry for himself. He isn't even licking as much as normal and when he walks he tries to flick the oil he can feel from his back legs. As such he isn't too keen on walking. I have learned a lesson in cat diet here. No more oil!

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You know he may have a tummy ache from the oil since he isn't used to it. I think that would be a more likely explanation for his 'sulking'.

I hope he's feeling better soon.

To prevent further constipation problems be sure to keep him on an all wet food diet. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice