Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oil/fat content of wet versus dry food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by henry, Apr 2, 2011.

1. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Hi - trying to get a little bit of weight off Henry at the moment and feeding a combo of Acana dry (18% fat) and NH, ND, NM, etc (at around 8/9% fat). I know there's a calculation to get the correct fat contents and I think, from what I remember, that the wet food is quite a lot higher in fat when converted). Can anyone confirm this please? Basically I want to know whether I'm best to cut down the dry or the wet.

I'm a bit miffed as Henry is back to 16.8kg this week (last week he was 16.5kg) and he started at 16.8kg. I've been feeding reduced food and no treats, so I don't know what's happened - Vet wants him around 16kg ideally, which I know is not much to loose, but we can't seem to get it down very easily. He has minimum 2 hours a day off-lead exercise, so I'm wondering if it is the wet food that is causing the weight gain. Trouble is, I've got a massive stash of it so don't want to cut it out completely.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Quite easy as long as you have the level of moisture for both.

If you do, then do the following to calculate both at a dry matter analysis (DMA)

100-moisture level = x

fat/x = fat at DMA

So, for example. for the cat acana we have 20% fat and 10% moisture.

so 100-10 = 90%, which is the dry matter in that food

20/90 = 22.2% - this is the fat content at a DMA once all of the moisture has been removed

For a wet food, let's take the cat animonda carny, which as 5% fat and 79% moisture

100-79 = 21
    5/21 = 23.8% fat at DMA

So, comparing those two there is very little between them in the fat content once they are compared at a DMA level.

Does that help?

3. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Brilliant - thanks for that!! I was hoping you'd see this as I knew you'd have the answer - off to do my calculations! x

4. henry

henry PetForums VIP

So, I've worked out that the dry Acana = 20% fat

and the wet NH, for example = 30% fat.

I assume I'd therefore be better to cut the wet down a bit to get a weight loss - do you agree? Thanks! x

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

What about sticking with the lowest fat content wet you have for a while, cut it back a bit and add some water to it so he doesnt feel short changed x

Or, you could do every other day all acana instead of feeding wet every day

6. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Thanks Sandie - that's something to mull over. Was thinking along those lines OR one-third wet instead of a half.

Any more advice or ideas would be welcome! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice