Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh s&#t!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dante, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Has anyone ever had a virus on their computer so bad its wiped everything off it?

Something just happened to mine, a fake windows recovery tab popped up. I restarted in safe mode to run a malware check and its left me with no documents, photos.. Anything.

Thank god this didnt happen before I handed my dissertation in!

I guess Im more worried about personal data etc than my documents right now..

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Once got a virus.. when I first got the PC.. many years ago,.. Anyway.. I got a letter from our provider saying they had reports of us sending spam.. :eek: And we had to sort or they would cut us off.. :eek:

Well I have a friend who is in the know,.. he came round to sort.. And it many hours trying to get rid.. He couldn't even get the pc into safe mode.. We couldn't even shut down.. You had to turn off by the plug.. :eek: thank goodness he new what he was doing..

Cost me a 24 crate of Carling to fix.. :lol:

3. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

My OH has told me not to turn it back on until he gets home and can have a look. I had a few viruses on it somehow about 3 weeks ago which we thought were gone.. Would appear that might not be the case!

Times like these you really wish you knew/were a computer genius..

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Gets annoying doesn't it.. I have a lock so I can't view most you tube and links for things like pictures etc..

Have this on as the kids will click on anything.. Seems to help keep problems at bay..:D

5. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

It sounds like a trojan - pretending to be something legit so you'll click on it (they're really sophisticated nowadays). I got hit with one this week and it hid everything on my laptop - hopefully your files are hidden, so you'll be able to recover them. I'm no good at that side of things, I'm afraid, so I can't offer any advice, but someone who knows what they're doing will be able to clean it up.
    You have my sympathies, it's horrible when everything disappears :(

6. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Yeah the giveaway to the fake recovery thing was the terrible spelling. Really, you think they'd check their English language skills first, right? Lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice