Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh Noes, squirrels!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by catz4m8z, Jan 13, 2012.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I was having a lovely walk this morning...one of our favourite parks. Ok, so there is no fencing at all but it has a 'hedge' of trees and bushes in an L shape in the middle with a small copse which is what we follow. The dogs love it and usually behave themselves....
    So Hannah was being a good girl at first..'oh, recall Mummy??, yes of course..I'll come straight back, Im a very good gir........OMG!!! SQUIRRELS!!!'
    *cue one tiny ginger pooch zooming into the trees totally ignoring me and emitting barks so high only the other dogs could hear her*:rolleyes:

I spent the next 10 minutes standing outside the copse calling her name, attempting to bribe her with dog sweeties and fuss whilst she crashed about with a manic look in her eyes and her tongue flung to the side like a Biggles style scarf!:D
    She even had the cheek to burst out of the undergrowth (always from the oppisite direction I was looking) run at me like she was going to come back thennnnnnn.......run away back into the trees rilly, rilly fast!!:mad:

When she finally came back, filthy, muddy and with several leaves and twigs attached she still ignored me! The other 2 stared with rapt attention whilst they got their treats...Hannah only turned her head away from the trees when there was a treat coming her way!!

Blimmin' dogs!! Why do we bother!:D

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Where I used to live there were millions of squirrels - honestly every tree seemed to have one! Toby got a bit obsessed & would end up just looking in to the trees rather than where he was going :rolleyes:

Now we have one that comes in to the garden (to steal the nuts from the bird feeder) & it sends the dogs mad. I just hope he keeps a good grip of the fence he runs along :eek:

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

thank god we don't have squirrels here in Cyprus.

We have lots of stray cats but Bella has become extremely good at ignoring them or greeting the friendly ones...but I think squirrels would be far far far too tempting!

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

You're lucky to be squirrel free. The worst thing is she is so keyed up that she spends the whole walk home looking up at the trees and walking into lamp-posts and off of the kerb!!LOL:rolleyes:

5. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Oh Hannah what a little 'darling'.

Tink doens't chase squirrels any more she had a teenage phase but was told off by a particularly fiesty one. Who ran back down the tree and yelled squirrel expletives at her. She was so taken aback she hasn't chased one since... now waits for them to move and sniffs where they were!

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Sounds familiar......:rolleyes: :nonod:.

Had to have a little giggle though :D.

#6 Dogless, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. Set_Nights

Set_Nights PetForums VIP

We have a shared front garden which is opens straight out onto a busy road... it is also host to a family of squirrels :rolleyes:. I need to peer through the door every time I leave to make sure the coast is clear before taking her out. She is actually not too bad because if I spot them first then I can get her to focus on me and control her. The problems happen when you havent spotted one and walk out the door all blasé and suddenly your arm is popping out of your socket as you fly down the couple of stairs at the front door :rolleyes:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice