Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Oh no - OKO

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ali71, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

I know you all love (!) to talk about cat litter!!

I've been trying to get the boys off clay-based litter for a while. Our first attempt was with Almo Nature litter, which they took to really well, but it was a) powdery b)tracked everywhere and c) Suki used to come out absolutely covered in it. We tried Greenwoods, which tracked dreadfully, and at the moment we are using a mix of OKO regular and the smart pellets, which although has reduced the tracking a bit (I've got a mat down too) I seem to be getting through it so quickly as it's not hiding odours :(

I am doing a full change and tray wash-out every 5-7 days because it gets stinky. For those who use OKO in either format, is this normal please?

I'm beginning to lose heart with it!!

ewelsh likes this.
  2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

I have been using Cat’s best Öko from the start and found it covers smells excellently.
    Don’t mix it with any other litter, though.
    The tracking is kept in check by using high walled boxes as litter boxes.
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats...litter_box/litter_boxes_without_filter/600276

chillminx and Ali71 like this.
  3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I've been using Greenwoods as I didn't find it any different to Oko tracking wise. I only do a full change once every 4 to 6 weeks (occasionally more often if I have a litter of older kittens who use the big girls' litter boxes). I've never had any problems with odour.
    Is the litter clumping properly? I have had some bags where it breaks up when you scoop and that can cause a problem.

Ali71 likes this.
  4. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

@lymorelynn it doesn't clump too badly, but not as well as some I've had. The only benefit is that it doesn't cement itself to the bottom of the tray! There's absolutely no way I could leave it 4-6 weeks at this rate...the last thing any of us want is for wee wee smells to hit you (or heaven forbid, visitors) when they walk in the house :(

5. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I stopped using Oko due to the tracking - it's so lightweight and gets everywhere.

Have you tried Corn Cat from Zooplus? It looks exactly the same as Oko, works in exactly the same way but is a fair bit heavier and doesn't track as badly as Oko.

chillminx and Ali71 like this.
  6. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

@gskinner123 No, I've not tried it..do you mean the Super Benek?? I've heard good things about it, what's your experience like in terms of odour control/frequency of change etc?
    Thank you :)

7. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

@ChaosCat thank you - I have used it on it's own too but the tracking was too bad, hence the mixing it with OKO smart pellets. It's reduced it a lot.

I like the idea of high siders, we already use one which is like a baby's bath, so it's not that they pull it out of the tray so much, just that it gets walked out..

ChaosCat likes this.
  8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko uses either Oko or Greenwoods and apart from the tracking have had no problem, definitely no odours . I top it up usually once a week and change every 6 weeks or so

Ali71 likes this.
  9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Ali71 likes this.
  10. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

I've always used OKO (didn't realise there are different kinds?) since discovering zooplus and yes, tracking is a pain but other than that it's brilliant.
    Phoebe has a covered tray, if you keep the litter deep enough the clumps have no chance of reaching the bottom (and her wees are in the range of orange-grapefruit size).
    With regular top ups it feels as if it almost never needs a full change (feel a bit bad but we probably do it once every 2 months+).
    The only smell we get is the poops because she doesn't cover them, just shoots right out of the box scattering litter mid-flight :rolleyes:

Ali71 likes this.
  11. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Lol @Joy84 I have one like that who comes flying out, the other one is a little busybody and moves the litter from one end to the other, regardless of who is guilty!!

The litter tray is in a pantry (not used for anything else I hasten to add!)
    Thanks @buffie maybe I'm v smell sensitive or something! The litter tray is in an old kitchen pantry (not used I must add) so in a confined space. Next week we are having an extraction fan put in there which will help I'm sure. Odd how it's working for everyone else :(

@lymorelynn that's not good about the Super Benek!

buffie likes this.
  12. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

I love love love Super Benek. I've been through every wood based litter on Zooplus and it's the only one that doesn't stick in fluffy pants or paws, and the tracking is comparatively minimal. OKO was awful for us, it went everywhere, it stuck to them, didn't cover smells at all

Ali71 likes this.
  13. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

How deep are you filling it? Maybe if not deep enough they are peeing on the tray itself and you can smell that? I don’t have problems with smell, but my girl kicks so much the clumps break up!

Ali71 likes this.
  14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I use Superbenek in the 3 upstairs litter trays, but am not 100% happy with it as it doesn't absorb smells completely, and so I find I need to empty out the whole tray quite often e.g. every week if the trays are used every day.

In the downstairs trays I use Worlds Best Original (green bag) and still find it the best litter for my cats. I have tried every other litter in the downstairs trays and IME none of them cover smells so well or track as little as WB. Also it doesn't cling to fur. It is more expensive than Superbenek, which is why I save on costs by using it only in the downstairs trays.

Ali71 likes this.
  15. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

I've been doing the same - trying to move to non clay clumping. I've tried 3 or 4 but they all tread, even with mats. I don't think fluffy feet help though. I've also noticed the smell - can't remember which one that was with.

I've given up and just ordered more clay from Zooplus - I'll use the rest up in the run.

I think I'm stuck with clay as long as I have the NFC's. When it's just the mogs I'll try again - or maybe just use the non-clumping wood pellets, won't be that bad with only 2 cats.

Ali71 likes this.
  16. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

@Rufus15 thank you for commenting on your findings for Super Benek :) did you find it covered odours well?

@Orla I am putting in at least 7 or 8 cm. The boys tend to piddle at each end but I'm cleaning out at least 3 times a day and as soon as they have done a poo if I'm at home!

@chillminx that's interesting and how I'm finding OKO - at this rate I feel I might as well use normal woodchips as I'm cleaning the tray out far more frequently than I ever did with clay :( Can I ask what the consistency is with WB please? I'm pretty sure I have tried it once before and they tried to eat it!! I don't mind spending money on something that works, I am fortunate that the boys have always shared an extra large tray.

@Jannor I feel your pain!! I could put up with tracking if it lasted longer smells-wise. Do you not find that the clay ones get everywhere too?

17. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

When they actually bother to bury it, it covers smells fantastically. My nose is crazy sensitive as I have sensory processing disorder and can't cope with strong odours. I used to have a real problem with OKO because it didn't cover the ammonia smell at all, whereas Super Benek does in my experience. Towards the end of the full change out (I do a full change out every 4 weeks), it's started to smell of ammonia because it's gone so dusty but that goes as soon as I do a change out and put in fresh litter.

Ali71 likes this.
  18. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Thank you @Rufus15 that's so helpful. I'm sensitive to smells too, my husband is even worse!

19. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

I change once every two weeks, three at most and I only have one cat with two trays.

Perhaps I'm going too far.

20. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

@Ali71 I don't find the clay as bad - I think because it's heavier it doesn't stick to fluffy paws as much or maybe more just comes off on the mat.

Ali71 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice