Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

oh no - not again!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Deb, May 8, 2010.

1. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

My 18mth collie has done it again. Hubby was stuck on the field for 3 1/2 hrs trying to get her back yesterday (fortunately it was a nice day). We have been back to the begining so many times now and just when we think wev've cracked it this happens. I still use the long training lead when i take her out on my own with her ball (but dont hold onto the end) and she has 100% recall so perfect in fact that she must look like a show dog to passerby's. When we both take her to the beach though we dont use it coz i am worried she will trip people up. We are usually out there for a couple of hours and she usually comes back (did have to get a mate that happened to be passing to get her last week!!). Hubby has stopped using the long lead for going to the local field and she has been coming back - until yesterday that is. I just dont feel we can ever trust her and it restricts where we take her coz am so nervous about letting her off:(

2. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

I know how you feel hun. We tried everthing. Had a trainer (1-2-1) and everything, something might really work for you guys though. Tanya was off when on a scent and it's distressing and made me feel that I had failed somewhere along the line. I have her on an extendable all the time now as she ran over a main road once and it was terrifying. She is quite old now, so it's fine but i used to have to run with her, which didn't do me any harm, hee hee.

Good luck x

3. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

we have had 1-2-1 trainers x2. the first one suggested the long lead which certainly works but she appears to know the minute she is not attched to it:)

4. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

hmmmm - I know, feel for you, hope you can find a way through it. x

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Have you tried liver cake?
    I swear my dog would write me an essay for it

Whatever you do, good luck. I know how hard it can be when it feels like one step forward two steps back

6. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

Liver cake, never heard of that. Will google and buy x

7. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

Found a recipe :thumbup:

8. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

post a link? I need my dog to get super excited about some treat that's out there.

9. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

10. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

Have you tried just leaving the dog in the field? I don't know how practical this is in your area but when Star just won't come back (and there's not even another dog/person around) i walk out of the field and carry on until she runs to the gate, then I let her through and praise.

We once met a woman who we had a long chat with and she was telling us when her yorkie was little she just would not come back so she left her there for 1/2 hour and went home, when she got back the dog was sitting in the field waiting for her. Needless to say, the dog has never run off since. I am not suggesting you go for 1/2 and hour, and I don't know what the area is like 9we live in the countryside so leaving my dog in hopefully the dog will run after you as you go into the distance xD

#10 Daggre, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  11. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Liver cake is great and dogs love it but be warned - it STINKS. Worse than cooking liver on its own for human consumption. Just nauseating.

Sardine cake is another good one - I made some recently and it's as popular as the liver cake but less smelly. Still stinks a bit, mind but nowhere near as bad.

2 cans sardines in oil.
    2 eggs.
    Garlic granules (optional)
    SR flour.

Beat eggs. Mush up sardines. Add garlic if using.

Add eggs to sardines. Mush again.

Add enough flour to make a sort of paste - stiffer than cake mix but not as stiff as scone mix.

Spread out in a greased dish to about 1cm thick (bake in 2 batches if need be - you don't want it too thick)

Bake in oven at 180 until house stinks, it's risen a bit and a knife comes out clean.

Cool on rack, cut into 1cm-ish squares.

12. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

aw that's great and lovely of you to give the recipe, will try that too x

13. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

Our friends in York, all of whom love dogs, but the Dad is a massive softie when it comes to dogs especially, anyway, he made the liver cake and packaged it especially for Star on her visit, it works, it stinks, and he stunk out their house, much to the complaint of the rest of the family, it was so sweet of him though xD

14. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Oh it works alright!

But the smell. Never, ever underestimate the smell. You think cooking liver smells? Multiply that by 100,000 if you're cooking liver cake. Furthermore, my blender (bought specially for the purpose) literally burst into flames after the second batch. OK it was only a cheapie Tesco value one but the effort of turning liver into pink gloop (bleugh) was too much for it.

15. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol: PMS

Bless you x

16. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

I wasn't there when it was being made, but apparently it made the rest of the family nearly puke, and you could smell them if you just went into the room xD

17. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

Re liver cake - not made it but did make tuna biscuits once which had no effect (outside of the home that is).
    Re leaving her on the field. Did this with a dog we used to have (actually hid from her behind a tree - she was frantic and always came back for me afterwards). Tried to hide from Cassie - did not work. Both the fields we use are not enclosed so would be very wary of leaving her in case she went looking for me and went onto the road. It would be difficult to leave her as she is always near to me - just not close enough to touch!!

18. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

I know THAT feeling

Oh yeah, I wouldn't leave her in a field not enclosed, with Star, they are all enclosed, so i just clang the gate loudly and walk on around the corner. But I suppose she'd know you're just hiding (why do they have to be so intelligent xD)

19. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

This has happened many times to me too with ollie. Ollie's now permantely on a long line cos I have given up. He is still being trained but I don't think I'll ever have the confidence to let him off again.

20. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Are there any specific triggers that make her bolt? For example, rabbit scent, changes in exercise regime the day before, low flying birds etc?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice