Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh no more Animals!!!!

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Midnight, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Oh bloomin heck i've just come back from a garden centre in Horsham from buying a couple of plants now i've been talked into another 2 Gerbils and 3 mice !! :yikes: we already have 7 cats, 9 Degus, 4 Chinchillas, 2 gerbils and a hamster !! They are cute though :D i'll post some piccys later !! x

2. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

piccys please :)

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

When i worked in the pet industry i ended up with 64 rat's, 15 gerbils, 4 rabbits, 13 guinea pigs, 6 mice, 4 parrots, plus my 2 dogs, and at the time 7 cats.

Ive learnt to say no now, unless its a matter of life and death.

4. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I still win! :D

I have 36 gerbils! :eek: :D

Pics please Kim :D

5. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

36 Marcia :yikes: they are cute though aren't they :D the mice and Gerbils were being given away free there .. so i thought right at least they will have a good home with us !! has anyone any good information on mice :confused: that's one pet i've never had ? x

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Female mice are usually fine kept together in little colonies, adult males will usually fight and need to be seperated.

Fancy mice are much bigger that pet mice.

Mice love climbing and need good airflow so are best being kept in a cage rather than a tank but they are escape artists so be careful with bar spacing. Most people say bars with a 1cm spacing are ok but I find my 2 pet mice could get out if they really tried, the big ones are fine though.

They love climbing on ropes and you can take apart rope dog toys to make cheap fun things for them to climb on.
    Unlike hamsters/Gerbils they pee and poop wherever they are and I seem to get covered in it when I play with them (nice).

They can be a bit smelly but don't be tempted to clean the cage out too often as they only scent mark like mad when they get back in, I used to do it every 3 days and it smelled worse than now when I do it once a week.

Can't wait for the piccies, pleeeze.

You can make all sorts of toys and things for them out of houshold objects my mice love their treat basket which is just a hanging peg basket full of ripped up newspaper and hidden treats.

[​IMG]

#6 thedogsmother, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  7. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Ok as requested some piccys boy do they move sorry they are a little blurred ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Gerbils
    This is Sooty
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Ben
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and Thank you Dogsmother for the info ;) x

8. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

Aww why were they being given away free?

Gad you gave them a home they are lovely. :)

9. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

I've got no idea :confused:there was also 3 hamsters and another 2 mice that were free, :eek: this was in a big garden centre pet shop the woman selling them said " You do know they stink " :eek: soooooooooooooo we took them out there and ran, their cages weren't that clean either :( x

10. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

Oh no thats not nice :(

they wont get homes if they say that to everyone and people will get them on impulse because they are free, poor things i do hope they get good homes ;(

11. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

I will say if the mice are boys they do stink and really bad.Despite being cleaned out daily our two boys smell the house out.
    That is the reason noone wants boy mice.
    I have a bit of an issue with people breeding mice as all the males are hard to rehome.
    In saying that if you can ignore the smell our boys are the sweetest little things although they do wee and poo on you a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice