UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the adverts on here for poor dogs on preloved and I decide to have a look and this is what I find!

Preloved | times running out! wanted in Eastkilbride, South Lanarkshire, UK

So sad. Sometimes I'll like to take these people and give them a good swift kick up the ..............

Only 20 months old - it must take longer than that to prepare for a move to Oz so why get a dog?!!

Laura :(

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She probably isn't moving to Oz, she just wants people to respond to the ad quicker. Looks like she can't handle him :(
Doh! Never thought of that! I know how hard it is with a young collie but it makes me so sad and angry that so many people get one without doing the research and then give up! I've had many 'oh my god' and 'am I doing the right thing' moments regarding Mac but I did my research and knew what to expect! Even them it was still a shock but I love my boy to bits - don't know how they can face getting rid of this boy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It just read to me weird - if you were emmigrating you would say that at the start of the post, not near to the end. Its an add on IMO.
Looks like she didn't think it through and the dog is now unhappy
What annoyed me was her threat to have the dog put down to pull at the heart strings :(

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
In fairness to her at least she's being honest about the type of home he needs, rather than just advertising him as free to a good home and giving him to the first person who shows up. I agree though she should've done a bit of research before getting a breed like a collie, wouldn't be in that situation if she had.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It just read to me weird - if you were emmigrating you would say that at the start of the post, not near to the end. Its an add on IMO.
Looks like she didn't think it through and the dog is now unhappy
What annoyed me was her threat to have the dog put down to pull at the heart strings :(
Rereading it I think this too. Just never occurred to me at the start. I got distracted so much by the PTS. Heartless. She should be looking into rescue centres etc rather than that!

In fairness to her at least she's being honest about the type of home he needs, rather than just advertising him as free to a good home and giving him to the first person who shows up. I agree though she should've done a bit of research before getting a breed like a collie, wouldn't be in that situation if she had.
I agree that she has given a lot of info but I believe she will let him go to anyone. I'm so mad that they are considering having it PTS. Would a vet do that to a healthy dog? Surely not?!

:eek: it's not often I am lost for words :(
I know. So sad.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've sent her a message with the web addresses for rescue centres specifically for borders and ones for all breeds. I hope she at least tries them.

Laura

·
Registered
202 Posts
Heartbreaking - back on my soapbox, there should be a basic vetting process before people are allowed to have dogs. As a minimum they should understand what is involved in caring for their chosen breed of dog.

I just had a look on my local JSPCA website which I do from time to time, good to see some dogs have been re homed but always sad to see dogs that have been there for ages, I just want to adopt them all.

How the hell does anyone give a dog up, we were given a 2 week trial period when we rescued Sookie but I ws smitten after a couple of days, how do these people live with themselves.

·
Registered
16,429 Posts
I just can't read these anymore as I find them too upsetting. How people can justy get rid of their pets so easily is beyond me.
I don't care what people say about me being judgemental but in my opinion people give up & 'rehome' far too easily.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heartbreaking - back on my soapbox, there should be a basic vetting process before people are allowed to have dogs. As a minimum they should understand what is involved in caring for their chosen breed of dog.

I just had a look on my local JSPCA website which I do from time to time, good to see some dogs have been re homed but always sad to see dogs that have been there for ages, I just want to adopt them all.

How the hell does anyone give a dog up, we were given a 2 week trial period when we rescued Sookie but I ws smitten after a couple of days, how do these people live with themselves.
Our 'discussion' with Mac's breeder was like being on Mastermind! lol! All that was missing was the dark background and intense spotlight! lol! As it should be but sadly not always the case sadly. I get sad looking at the SSPCA/Dog's Trust website and like you would take them all home if I could but then they would fill up with more and again I'd want to make all them happy - just couldn't do it!

I was in love with Mac as soon as I held him. You'd have to kill me to get him I'm afraid! lol! I couldn't give him up. If she would just get him an experienced collie home or a rescue that knows how to place him then she's at least given him a better life rather than no life. Can't believe she would even consider that.

I just can't read these anymore as I find them too upsetting. How people can justy get rid of their pets so easily is beyond me.
I don't care what people say about me being judgemental but in my opinion people give up & 'rehome' far too easily.
I don't think I should read them either. Went on to have a nosy as people had been talking about preloved and once there couldn't stop myself looking at the animal section.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Very very sad. I do hope the poor lad finds someone to take him on. The issue is that some experienced owners may not be able to take him even if they really want to, owing to having children or visiting children :(

Has the owner tried BC specific rescues? Definately worth a shot?!

Poor dog :(

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very very sad. I do hope the poor lad finds someone to take him on. The issue is that some experienced owners may not be able to take him even if they really want to, owing to having children or visiting children :(

Has the owner tried BC specific rescues? Definately worth a shot?!

Poor dog :(
I know - I feel so sorry for him and keep saying to Mac 'I hope you know how lucky you are you spoiled little boy!'. My hubby has a son who stays at weekends and Mac's great with him and although she may mean younger kids because of the typical boisterous nature of the collie I just couldn't take him. Mac is enough to handle for us (not too much to handle incase that gets misinterpreted by anyone! - not meaning you Lemmsy).

I sent her an e-mail with the addresses. e-mail addresses and phone numbers of all the local SSPCA's, Dogs Trust's and other rescues along with rescues specifically for Border Collies local and nationally. I asked her to please think about letting him go to a rescue where they will vet a potential home for the best interests of the dog. I was very nice about it and she's not replied with anything bad or otherwise so I hope she has tried them at least.

I'll let you know if she replies.

Laura

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.