Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh no, here it comes, the getting ready to move

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lorilu, Jun 6, 2020.

1. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I've been in this apartment 22 years, and am a bit of a pack rat. Over the years I have periodically done sessions of what I call de-hoarding, but still...I've just had a taste of what I am going to be faced with.

I'm not sure how I got started on it but I've just cleaned out one level of a cupboard. Most of it was easy, but way at the back I've found some things, a few china plates and a couple of plastic storage containers and two Pyrex bowls (no lids). Obviously I have had no need of these things for years. AND years.

But now I'm faced with them how on earth do I decide whether to keep them or not. The china plates are part of my "china plate collection" period and seeing them again reminded me why I had them, I love them still. The bowls can be used as cereal or soup bowls even. The plastic containers, they are a weird size and shape, useless really,...I can't imagine I would use them for anything, but...my pack rat mind says, but what if I throw them away and suddenly find a use for them, especially now as I am trying to sort and organize?

UGH!

Good thing I am going to have a long time to do this, as after I close (still no date) the house has some work that needs to be done before I move in.

I haven't started doing much packing yet, because I don't have anywhere to put PACKED THINGS.

Once the house is mine, I can pack things and move them there.

But I've made a start, anyway.

Feel free to share your own packing to move stories. Or TIPS and ADVICE! :D

The last time I "moved" I was driven out by a maniacal (now ex) husband and did not pack anything, just grabbed the cats and fled. I was homeless for four months, sleeping in a couch bed in a friend's basement and spending the rest of my time when I wasn't working sitting in my car in one parking lot or another, to stay out of their house. I moved into here with old donated furniture, a few donated clothes and two cats. But that was a long time ago. :D

rona likes this.
  2. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

May I share that I fled from my ex in difficult times and had nothing. To rebuild and be considering your collection of china is a credit to you. You’ll get there, don’t get too Maria Kondu, every item has a story and a life with you or someone else.

I refused to see the house we know live in, it looked haunted (a friend says our box room has a strange vibe and smells of cigars often) and when my husband said we should - despite damp, beetles, wood lice, damp and no floorboards, I loved it. We spend five figures on works before we moved in and the lovely past residents left most of their crummy, horrible furniture. I had to break up up a bed with a mallet to clear the room as it was stuck tight!

lorilu likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Moving is a good opportunity to de clutter.

Whilst no move on my horizon at the moment, I have been planning well ahead for retirement and having a good clear out.

I’ve hung on to stuff for years (including family things) but I’m being ruthless now.

My mum’s wedding china is out of the boxes, damaged pieces thrown away and the rest on display on a dresser to be enjoyed.

My own wedding china is now in every day use instead of “for best” and the everyday stuff either binned or sent to a charity shop.

I’ve done this with just about everything now. If it’s worth having I keep it and use it (but not duplicated). If not, it goes.

Larger items are either eBayed ir Freecycled.

If I do move in the future, hopefully it won’t be such a mammoth task.

IME it’s only really possible to start packing near to moving day as access is required to things and boxes take up so much room.

Now is the time to be ruthless and clear your clutter ;)

It’s very satisfying :)

lorilu and margy like this.
  4. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

My best packing advice @lorilu is to have a notebook and when you pack a box, write the contents of the box in the notebook and write the box number and location on the box.

Don't de-clutter too much. I do love a de-clutter but I am very sentimental about some things and I'm getting worse as I get older!

I'm with @Lurcherlad in using things though. We use our posh glasses regularly and the wedding china, no point having them otherwise :)

kimthecat, lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

My advice is to mark the boxes with the room the stuff inside will go in by either writing a letter/word or using different coloured stickers, do this somewhere easily visible.
    Have a box or bag(s) with the stuff you'll need for the first few days.

kimthecat, lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

CLOSING DATE JUNE 15TH!!!!!! It was delayed so long all my documents expired and I had to submit them again. For the third time by the way. (Fourth if you count the incompetence of the first lender I tried, because he was such an idiot every time I gave him something he promptly lost it..)

Ugh! I can't tell if I am excited or terrified. Aside from the single cupboard tidying I haven't done anything else until today. This morning I took a box and brown paper and cardboard and took down about half of my framed pictures from the walls, wrapped them and put them in the box. The box is now too heavy for me to move, so I am going to have to pull the car around onto the grass, empty the box at least by half, bring it down, then carry the others down and put them back in the box.

My plan, after the closing on Monday, is to bring this box, and the three boxes of books that have always lived in boxes since I moved in for lack of any place to put them, over to what will then be MY house.

I will have a good six weeks to do this, while the roof is being done and the wiring. I am planning a move date of last week in July/first week in August -ish. It depends on the contractors, and when they can do the work. I have not set anything up yet with roofer or electrician, since the house isn't mine yet. I plan to fill a box or two each night, put it in the car, then each day after work, drive over there and unload those boxes, and repe3at. I'm hoping a gradual packing and removing will be less stress on the cats, too, especially Mazy cat. She really needs everything to be in it's place.

But doing it this way is not only going to be easier on me, it will help the new house start to smell right (for the cats) before the Big Day.

Tomorrow my realtor and I are doing a walk through, to make sure all is still in order in the house. I haven't been there since early April, when the independent inspection was done.

I have already told my boss I want to take ten consecutive days off. I've been saving my vacation for years, for just this time! (well I use some of course but I've always been careful to keep at least 3 weeks unused leave time available) When I take a "week" off, I usually schedule it when there is a holiday too, so I use less time. Plus there is less work for me to make up when I come back.:D

Thank you. It was all such a long time ago now. I was homeless for 4 months, and have now lived here for 22 years (it will be exactly 22 years August 1st). It did take a long time to 'rebuild' (mainly pay off all the debt he ran up under my name and SS# actually), but here I am ready to own my own home just a few months short of age 60, did it all by myself and protected my credit score the whole time, too.

As for the china, no the collection of plates are just random plates I bought here and there, in my "I love random plates" phase.,You know, 2nd hand shops and such, because I liked them. The more ornamental ones are kind of scattered around the apartment, most with cat shaped rocks sitting in them (seriously!) but this stack are more functional and I guess I always meant to use them. But I am only one person and use the same plate every night. :D They don't have any sentimental value except, I am a pack rat at heart, and now that I've found them, I still like them.

FAW56, kimthecat, PawsOnMe and 4 others like this.
  7. ForestWomble

Exciting!

lorilu likes this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Good news!

Sounds like you have a plan :)

lorilu likes this.
  9. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

you have my sympathy
    im hoping to move the weekend of 18/19 july, if the council approve it,
    after 20 years, bringing up 4 kids and a husband dying in this house, i have to leave ( council house and 2 people living in a 4 bed)
    Lots of memories wrapped up in it
    two 8 yard skips filled with rubbish and the oldest results of my hoarding, some stuff i havent seen for 20 years, but ive had my youngest son helping me, and, hes slightly OCD about getting rid of 'dustables and junk'
    and
    a man with a van coming to clear out sheds and garage on monday ( where im going has no garage)

Ive actually never moved, before, on the same day that the other people are moving into mine, all my previous houses have been empty and ive been able to move over a few days, this is also the first time, i will have moved, without my husband, which scares me and makes me sad at the same time

@lorilu,
    we can do this and it will be a success for us both
    we are stronger, and braver, than we think or believe

FAW56, Lurcherlad, kimthecat and 2 others like this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness! That does sound really challenging, are the two households actually switching places? Having to leave a place where you've lived and lost a mate...I can only imagine how difficult that is. {{hug}}

yes, do let me know how it goes!

It's only been me here all these years, so only my stuff to sort through. And the apartment is tiny, so not TOO much as accumulated that I think I will be able to part with lol.

I did a huge bedroom/closet/clothes clean out 3 1/2 years ago when I bought a new bed, that was a 2 days job and I am surely glad it was done then.

Lurcherlad and mrs phas like this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I think tomorrow when I do the walk through with my realtor I'll bring some of my cat rocks. I don't want to move actual belongings until the place is really mine so I've been trying to think what I could bring for the day before, just because I want to. A sort of promise, you know. And I've just thought of this, a few of my cat rocks will be perfect. (these are rocks that I find while hiking that are remarkably shaped like cats. I probably have at least a hundred of them in the house and out in my garden.

I found a few forgotten ones in my car two years ago when I bought a new car too.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. margy

margy PetForums VIP

Exciting times, good luck in your new home.

lorilu likes this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I just found a use for one of these weird plastic storage containers! I've put the picture hangar hardware from the framed pictures I've taken down in it! See? THAT'S why I don't throw things away haha!

[​IMG]

PS I have labeled it Picture Hanger Hardware

Oh and by the way I think the house has a name, you know how some houses do? I'm not sure what it is yet, but I can feel there is one.

I've been sorting books and getting rid of some. But there is a book missing. It isn't in it's usual place where it lives. I'm sure it will turn up, but I wanted to pack it with it's other friends. (unrelated authors and stories, associated only some personal reason, you know what I mean)

The nice thing about moving will be playing with my books, once I'm all moved and can put them back out on shelves. Especially the ones that have been in boxes for so long.

#13 lorilu, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    FAW56 and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I've taken a picture of my House Promise to share. These are five of my vast collection of Cat Rocks, one for each room (or maybe one to represent each Angel cat who lived in this apartment), and I'm also bringing one of my mother's Mass Cards as she has been very near me through all of this process. The card blurred a little, but that is St Francis of Assisi. Hers (and mine) favorite Saint. Mom always told me my birthday was her favorite (not that I was the favorite, mind, just my birthday) because I was born on St Francis of Assisi's feast Day.

Attached Files:

westie~ma and Lurcherlad like this.
  15. mrs phas

I know this feeling exactly
    Even though ive lived here 20 years, ive always referred to it as the house
    not my home
    as ive never had a homely or welcoming feeling, since the second i walked into it
    Ken, and my kids, always said Im mad, for saying a pile of bricks gives off 'feelings'
    I walked into the new house and it was like a huge hug enveloped me and said 'your home'
    Im hoping, that the good times weve had through these 20 years, have made an impression on the fabric of the house, and it will feel more homely and welcoming for the new family, from the get go

westie~ma, margy, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh I am SO HAPPY you felt that! I also felt that, the first time I walked into this house. My closing is 1 pm tomorrow (US Eastern DST)

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  17. ForestWomble

Lurcherlad likes this.
  18. mrs phas

good luck and im sending you loads of happy settling in vibes x

lorilu likes this.
  19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I BOUGHT A HOUSE! I BOUGHT A HOUSE! I BOUGHT A HOUSE!

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

They had a little congratulations party for me at work yesterday. Fresh cut flowers and a card and reiteration of their offer to help me. They intend to have a cleaning and painting party for me, and also help me move. They are already organizing! Whatever did I do to be so lucky to have such caring people around me!

I actually burst into tears when they told me. Tears of relief, because I really am not capable of asking people to do things like that for me, and while they did offer way back before covid happening, I didn't want to ask to hold them to it.

I'm meeting with an electrician this afternoon. The roofer hasn't called me back yet. Once I have the budget for those two must-be-dones, I can decide what else I can get done before moving in, if anything. I won't go into debt, so I will only do what I can pay for.

20. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice