Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh no Bobs has the runs again !!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MissyMV6, Apr 15, 2011.

1. MissyMV6

MissyMV6 PetForums Senior

Well guys as most of you will know I have had prolems with Louie and his poo's for quite a while now:( I did have 2 tests done which were positive for a parasite.He had 2 lots of antibiotics and responded well.He was also put on Hills "id" food which seemed to keep him solid but it isn't really a long term food..At his yearly check-up he weighed over 5kg,I mentioned that he was on the id food,the vet suggested I use a different food Purina "HA" which was brilliant and he had proper solid poo's which was amazing:D:D

Then...I got worried that his poo's were maybe a bit too dry!!So I decided to add about 5g of a different food (good dry food) and at the same time I had just started using liquid in his water to help his gums.I did also give him a tiny bit of good quality wet food he ate probably 1g of it then walked away:rolleyes:

He goes to the loo outside now so I didn't realise he was runny again until after a couple of days.I stopped the liquid in his water immediately and put him back on the "id" food..It's been nearly a week now and I have just managed to see him going outside and it is still very runny:(:(:(

I could kick myself for thinking his poo's were too dry !! I dont know if to stop his food altogether and just give him plain chicken or just have him down to the vets..

Angie x

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh no! Shouldn't have tinkered for a while MissyMV6 :nono: Strange though that the addition of a few other bits of kibble would have that effect. Also strange that he is still runny even when you stopped giving some other dry nearly a week ago now.

I would normally suggest to starve him for 12-24hrs and then to give some plain boiled chicken but he has been runny even though you have him on the Hill's ID (Personally, I would have just left him on the purina one but without the added other kibble or wet food to see whether he will settle down again and not have switched him to the Hill's ID). Did you try some pro-kolin to see whether that will help him?

Long story short, I would pop him to the vet hun just in case he picked up another parasite.

Let us know how he gets on!

3. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Interesting. My cat is also on Hills i/d. The vet mentioned that it is not a long term food. Is there any dry food you can recommend that can be given long term? We don't get a big variety here, so it will have to be Hills, RC or Eukanuba, i'm afraid. Any wet food makes it worse, I am afraid.:(

4. MissyMV6

R/C sensitive is pretty good Louie used to have that and he loved it:)

Angie x

5. MissyMV6

Hi Hobbs
    Thanks for your reply,very helpful as always:) I know I need a good kick up the backside for tinkering so soon.. I think I panicked and thought I was onto a sure thing putting him back on the id but it didn't work:( I have given him some Purina today. I am out of Pro-Kolin.I was thinking of starving him and then going with the chicken.
    Angie x

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Take him to the vets hun :) It should have cleared with the Hills ID considering it helped last time. You can also pick up some pro-kolin from there.

7. MissyMV6

I have him booked in with my vet this evening at 6pm.Will let you know how he gets on.

Angie x

8. MissyMV6

Well Louie Bobs trip to the vets went well :) I managed to see Alison my usual vet,she gave Bobs lots of cuddles she said if he were hers she would stroke him all the time because of how his curly fur feels:D
    She had a good feel of his tummy and couldn't feel anything untoward.She checked his temperature which was normal.She gave him 2 injections to help settle his tummy.I have to starve him for 12 hours and then resume his Purina HA dry food.If he is still runny by tuesday I have to give her a ring and she will prescribe him some antibiotics.
    She weighed him again and he has put a bit more weight on she said not to worry,he has really thick fur and she could feel his backbone.
    She clipped his nails and checked his ears which were fine :D
    Fingers crossed his tummy settles over the next few days.

Angie x

9. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Seems Louie Bobs was just after a visit to the vet to get fuss from Alison ;)

Good luck with his poo firming up over the next couple of days.

10. MissyMV6

Lol he loves her he just laid there while she trimmed his nails he is such a pushover :D

Angie x

11. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Males eh, they'd do anything for a tummy rub :D

12. MissyMV6

Yeah my husbands just the same ;):D

Angie x

13. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

ooooohhhhh, better keep hubby away from Alison then :tongue_smilie:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice