Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

oh my goodness i am allowed another cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by hayleyb, Aug 7, 2009.

1. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

So heres the story. oh wudnt allow me to get another kitten so i was not pleased. there was a kitten in need of a new home and i told him if where it had gone didnt work i was havin it no arguments. so i started my thread to see if another cat wud mean twice the trouble or more relaxed sheldon and everyone said it would be good for sheldon.

so my friend who i got sheldon off has a sister who has 2 dogs 3 kids and a cat and was gonna get another kitten in 5 weeks. she has now thought it wudnt get the attention needed so i have said i will have it instead. and oh is now gettin abit excited ha ha.

i only have 1 question. sheldon is a year old and is neutered. would it be best to get a girl or a boy? bear in mind it wont be spayed/neutered till 6 months old?

2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi Hayleyb
    I don't think it really matters if you are getting a kitten but if you were getting an adult you would have to get the opposite sex as 2 males would definatly fight hope this helps

viv xx

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

yeah that helps.

anyone no wat works better? we had a little girl here a few weeks ago and she was a rite nasty piece of work, sheldon was scared to death. so i thought maybe all females are like this

4. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

when you get a non pedigree you have no ay of knowing what thir temperaments are like they could take after the mum who could be gentle and sweet or the dad who could be feral or someone loved pet you have no way of knowing, for instance i have my mikki she is a wonderfull cat but she is really fiesty when she is loving she is very loving but when she is in a mood watch out (i have the scars to prove it lol) but my bailey he was so different he was a ragdoll he was gentle affectionat followed me everywhere

viv xx

Attached Files:

• 045.jpg
      045.jpg
      File size:
      90.1 KB
      Views:
  5. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

so the little madam that came into my home was jst one of a kind ha ha. is it true that boys like their mams and girls like dads?

the little girl followed my oh all over but sheldon doesnt bat an eyelid at him

6. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

most of the cats i have had have had sweet temeraments be it male or female but the ones that have been fiesty have been female but that it just my experience

viv xx

7. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Congratulations on you getting anew addition. Be prepared for a bit of argy bargy in the beginning but things should settle down after a week or two.

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

yeah i no. im not sure where to put the kitten till its time to meet sheldon. either way it means sheldon will have to be locked out of a room, which im not really keen on but better than havin to angry and scared cats. do you think it wud be better to lock him out of our bedroom or the spare bedroom?

9. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Yay! A second kitty :)

My Pepper is a crazed loon but really very very sweet, so think the madam you had was just her personality. My Sugar was a darling aswell, as is my Mums cat Amber. A girl should be fine.

I would suggest locking him out of the spare room if he spends time in your room with you. He may feel too put out otherwise. Hope it goes well, i'm sure it will.

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya Id get a boy, only through experiencing the same thing myself :)

11. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi
    I am a bit nervous about getting a girl this time. We are having a brother and sister at the end of the month. But, I have been asking people and many who have girls say that they are just as affectionate as boys. There are the odd few but we had two boys for 15 years and for most of that time that wouldn't go near me only my husband. Ted and Dusty who we lost in June were the opposite. Very affectionate towards everyone and were totally devoted to me and they were both boys so I think it is hard to say. Getting them from kittens is the best thing as they get used to you handling them from a young age and are more likely to be affectionate and less fiesty. I agree with the other post, it will be better to not shut Sheldon out as it is his home, he is used to his places, so best to let him in your room and keep the other one out at first. Good luck!
    Sharon
    x

12. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

oh its so confusing. im gonna get abit more info bout the kitten 2moro, and see if i can visit it at home so i can see it 1st hand. we got sheldon at 5 months so we cudnt really put out stamp on him as much as we cud with a kitten, and i think thats the reason he is so spoilt not coz i give in to him at all :blushing:

oh was gettin abit excited last nite after seein a cat in a pet shop he wants a blue one, but i think that may not be possible from a moggie litter? or am i rong? but i no he'll be lookin forward to it as much as me.

i am banned from buyin anymore toys as sheldon does have enuff for 2 but shud i buy another carrier or jst another blanket to replace Sheldons when the kitten will go in it? sheldon does sleep in there in the winter and throughout the day. i jst really dnt want him to think we dnt love him coz im only gettin the kitten for him (honest :wink5:)

thanx for all your replies

13. poshmog

poshmog PetForums Member

First and foremost,I would favour getting a boy ,as I have 11 and the girls (3) are the ones with the temper tantrums ,the boys have all fitted in together great.
    I would also get a new blanket for kitten as it will be less of a temptation to pinch sheldon's.Mine all have their own spots and beds and that seems to be their little bit of security.
    You will get a little bit of a skirmish ,but it should sort itself out,I always have favourite treats about when anewbie arrives and try and deflect the attention with those if I think getting too much for the newbie ,and also it tells the rest of them that their mum still loves em:D

14. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

I have 3 male cats, one is almost 6 months and getting 'fixed' in a couple of weeks, one is 4 months and the other is 3 months, all getting 'fixed' at 6 months... and they all get along really well, have had no fights, bad behaviour etc. I found a lovely tabby kitten abandoned at work and took her home, kept her for a week and had to find new home for her because she was so aggressive towards the male kittens. So my experience is that male cats get on better together, and as they'll be neutered at 6 months, I'm sure they'll get on fine!

15. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Aw congrats on getting hubby to come around! lol Personally I prefer boys as they have all been more lovable than the girls I've had but its all down to personality really. I would just go and see which one has the best personality regardless of sex.

You can get blue kittens but people usually charge alot more for them and they are not that common for non pedigrees.

Good luck :)

16. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thankyou for all your replies. it does look like im goin towards a boy but im gonna have a look at the litter see which one picks me lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice