Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh my goodness!! How much poo???

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Catlover2, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Catlover2

Catlover2 PetForums Member

So, having raw fed my 4 for the past 18 months or so they are all refusing to eat the recent batch of mince (just had 30kgs delivered)!! I've had my first delivery of food from Zooplus (Grau, Bozita and Smilla). I've started them on Grau so far with 2 different flavours tried and they're loving it. I, however, AM NOT LOVING the MAHOOSIVE poos, the VAST AMOUNT OF IT and the SMELLLLLLL!!! Euwww!! I can honestly say that whilst on raw, they would do a tiny amount which looked like a string of peas with barely any smell at all. Not any more...... :(

Our PB has started pooing elsewhere too.....even though it's not even runny, that's a bonus I guess! :eek:

I do find it very satisfying to see all 4 eating together and clearing their bowls though. The 2 that haven't eaten at home for a while are even staying for breakfast at the mo, which is unheard of! Thomas, our ex-stray hasn't eaten at home for quite a while and has still managed to put on 1kg since we got him a year ago:rolleyes:

Ah well.....why do I feel like a failure, like I've taken a step backwards....we were all doing so well!!??

~x~

2. Catlover2

I've mixed it with wet food, sardines, dry food.....no joy! I will do my best to incorporate as much raw as possible just not having much luck at the mo. :(

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Hmm, this thread strikes a chord with me too! My principles say I should be feeding raw, or at the very least a prime quality wet food.....my cats on the other hand declare I should be feeding dry food....and one nice and high in grains at that. Stand off reached.
    As for poops....well Milo the youngest has been on mainly raw since I got him but is trying to get over to the darkside of kibble....his previously tiny hard poops have turned into monsters and I was aware of the stink from several feet away when he went in the garden earlier.:eek: Sigh.

4. Catlover2

Hi Paddypaws :D

It's difficult isn't it? My previous Moggies both lived until they were about 17/18 yrs old each (one of them had diabetes for about 6 years too). I was none the wiser then and fed them whatever they wanted - Sheba I think :eek: Having read all the stuff on nutrition I just can't do that anymore....ignorance is bliss eh? lol I loved feeding raw for so many reasons including the fact that there was hardly any packaging etc. Thomas actually stayed in for breakfast this morning and then came back upstairs afterwards for a stroke having cleared his bowl of food! I usually show him the bowl of raw, he turns his nose up and goes to the catflap not to be seen again until bed time! You may remember one of the reasons for changing to raw was our PB having the runs for 5 weeks and pooing all over the place which was cured with raw. So, although he doesn't (currently) have the runs, he has pooed twice in my sons newly decorated, newly carpeted bedroom since being fed tinned :mad:

I don't want my house to smell of poooooooooo!!!! I've got used to it NOT smelling!

I guess as long as they're happy I just have to tow the line and do the best I can ;)

Will get some bone in rabbit from Woldsway and give them that at weekends etc.

Bloomin' cats.....

5. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

This post makes me so glad I have a dustbin of a cat that will eat anything I put in front of him :lol:

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Could they just be fed up with that particular type of mince or could the make-up of the minces have changed? My lot still gets some commercial food but I must say they don't seem to have a significantly greater output then if just fed on raw and although a little stinkier it certainly doesn't clear the room.

I hope for you that this is just a short-term side-effect of them being fed commercial food again and that it will all calm down once they have gotten used to it. Could it be that it is particularly bad because you went from one to the other without a period of transition? Just wondering. Are they still getting some raw or are they now completely on tinned food?

Might be worth putting some raw down tomorrow to see whether they will now tuck into again after having had some different food for a while. Might also be worth exploring different raw minces in case they are not generally adverse to eating raw food but just object to those particular minces. ;)

7. Catlover2

Hi Hobbs

I am currently talking to the supplier re the mince. They say that the recipe has not changed but I can see a difference in the consistency without doubt. Hardly any moisture and very fatty/sticky (like lots of minced chicken skin or something). The previous lot was very bloody, which they love. It's odd that none of them will even touch it?? I will always try them with raw and I know that there are things that they will def. eat so will just give them a combination of good quality tinned & raw. Having said all that, my PB and Thomas haven't eaten at home for months and they now are....so that's a plus!

Now....to try and get rid of the litter tray (except for night time when they are all in).... :D

~X~

8. Cooniemum

Cooniemum PetForums Junior

When I fed my lot raw, there was a batch that none of them would eat and I kept perservering and eventually they did eat it and all were poorly overnight with sickness and diarrhoea - looks as though there had been a problem with the meat and they could sense it.

Sometimes they will eat raw now and sometimes they won't but they are fed a mix of JWB biccie and bozita wet as well as the odd chicken wing and rabbit mince and on the whole they seem to be thriving on it.

The transition period was horrible though having to get them used to commercial having been solely on raw for such a long time.

CM

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Let me get this right. They all ate the raw quite happily until you got the latest batch of food? Now they are all turning up their noses? What minces do you get? If it isn't wet enough, would just adding some water to it help to make it moister and perhaps also a little bloodier but drawing the blood out a little more?

As Cooniemum quite rightly says though, there might just be something wrong with those minces. When you talked to the supplier, did they offer any solutions? I guess what I mean is, are they going to send you another batch to see whether there was something wrong with that? When we used Darlings for a while they certainly were very accommodating that way.

Also, have you just tried them on a little supermarket mince to see whether they still eat that?

10. Catlover2

Hobbs - to be fair only 2 of them have been 'happily' eating the minces for a while now. The other 2 must have been eating elsewhere. I've tried adding moisture in different ways....no joy. When I first spoke to the supplier they suggested adding sardines etc etc - tried that with no luck. I have contacted them again and am waiting to hear back - they have been very good about it thus far. The Grau is going down well although so far I have only used 2 x 200g tins between the 4 of them per day??? The PB of course now has the runs and as I know his penchant for pooing in the bath I closed all the doors overnight, leaving the bathroom door open and hey presto! there was a lovely sloshy pile in the bath this morning :eek: At least it took no time to clean up :D

I have been thinking about stopping the minces for a while as for ages they haven't seemed overly keen for some reason. I will continue to feed raw as much as I can though. As I said the 2 that were eating elsewhere are now eating twice a day at home, so that's got to be a good thing :rolleyes: I just hope the PB doesn't have the runs for too long.....

~x~

11. Leena

Leena PetForums Member

We also give raw meat to cats when possible, but a little dry food also for the minerals and all that.

Once I made the mistake of believing that cats only eat a little at a time and you can leave lots of dry food in a bowl for them to eat at wish.

Wrong.

Who ever came up with that theory did not take into account multiple-cat-households. The compete at eating as fast as they can so they could try to snatch bits from neighbor's bowl too.

And so we went away for two nights and mother-in-law who lives just around the corner said she'd be over twice a day to feed the cats (and have a nap with them on the sofa). We left in the morning and I put a BIG bowl of dry food in the kithcen with plenty of drinking water nearby.

When mother-in-law came to see the cats that afternoon, Rolli the Somali cat had eaten all he possibly could (which was a lot) and as a result got his stomach all upset. Now you can imagine the havoc when he did not make it to the sand box in time and the poo was all liquid... Also his hinies were all dirty - long hair and all that... And then he went all over furniture and carpets in that condition. Mother-in-law cleaned it all and deserves a medal for it... We bought her a gift card to a spa.

But after that I never leave food in the open - this particular Somali eats it all...

Leena :)

12. Catlover2

All flavours so far of Grau, Bozita and Smilla have gone down well with all 4. Poops seem to have regulated - not as large but still very stinky! My PB has decided that his poops belong under my desk! I have now put a hooded tray under the desk in the hope that he will decide to use it :rolleyes:

Feeling bad that they haven't had ANY raw for about 2 weeks....must get my act together! ;)

~X~

13. peecee

peecee PetForums Senior

Have you considered changing your supplier?

14. Catlover2

Yes, that partly what I meant by "getting my act together" :D There just seems to be sooo much to do at the mo!!

~x~

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice