Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

oh my god she owns 23 dogs?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ad_1980, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

My cousins finally chose their puppy yesterday and are waiting to pick him up on the 15th of August. I for one am very happy for them - wish i could steal him lol

Anyway, i found out yesterday that the breeder actually owns 23 dogs, all poodles, i think a couple of them are standard and the rest of them are toy poodles!

How does she take them for a walk? Where does she find room for 23 dogs?! Our houses in the UK aren't exactly ginormous are they? LOL! How do you walk 20+ dogs?

Wonder how jane would cope with 23 poodles?

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Well unless they are never walked? Maybe she has land or takes them out in rota's? :confused: I fail to see how anyone can give the correct level of attention to that many dogs, sounds like either a collector or a puppy farmer to me, either way I'd be extreamly suspicious of buying a dog off her. If you have her details I'd be tempted to contact the authorities (for what it's worth) to have her checked out.

3. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Its a mad house :eek:ut: much as I love em no way would I have that many

4. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Wow thats alot of dogs.
    I have 7 and thought that was a bit crazy at times.
    Where abouts are they in the country ?
    Maybe they are just a large commercial breeder it happens sometimes.

5. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Is she is a big kennel by any chance? Very often they have staff that groom/exercise the dogs for them.

I'd be more suspicious if she had 23 dogs of 10 different breeds myself. Just sounds like she is a very serious breeder (and possibly show person??) who maybe has a few too many dogs....!!

6. rona

rona Guest

Don't jump to conclusions, she may be a breeder who shows her dogs but actually adores them and never rehomes any that she has run on.
    That's how we would all like breeders to be and hopefully this is the case here.
    If she doesn't work or has enough money for a kennel worker, then the dogs may be having a brilliant life

7. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

No she's a proper breeder :) Dogs are great according to my rellies, although i have yet to see them!

My uncle got her details from me, because i had her details from the KC.

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

And yes she shows them too :)

She lives in the surrey area.

9. Colsy

Colsy Banned

See alls well that ends well.:)

Wish i had room for 23 dogs.

What colour is your Cousins puppy.

I bet its really cute.

10. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

My breeder has 11 I think. All poodles apart from 1. Just over half of them are oldies though. The dogs are there kids and they never rehome any of them. Ones a toy poodle who's blind and deaf. He's lovely though. I think about 4 or 5 of their dogs are young and they only show 2 or 3 of them. The rest are one she's had since she was young and used to show them. This is the 3rd litter they've had so there not having loads of litters or anything. They have a rota for walking the dogs. The husband wanted a mans dog because of all the poodles :p Can't remember what breed though. There all family pets and are crazyy. And I think my puppy is going to be like them aswell!

11. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Still too many in my view. Are they kept in cages or the home? If cages then how is that a good quality of life?

12. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

They've picked a white one out of the litter. Not my choice of colouring in my opinion but its not my dog however its so cute and so tiny. my uncle posted pics on some photo site but i can't copy and save them on my drive to post the pics here

Never mind i will get puppy pics when i see him eventually. And the 20 + dogs if i get to see them before the pup comes home :)

13. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

If you mean me then in the home. The standards and the other dog get the 3 seater sofa and the minis sit up on the chairs and stuff during the day when the puppies aren't downstairs. And at night they all sleep in their bedroom. You can tell dogs live in their house but there all well cared for. I wouldn't buy from someone unless I was happy with their dogs after what we've had with Cheeko.

14. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I doubt anyone with that number of dogs, inc a highly recommended breeder who shows them, would cage all those dogs!

My uncle told me as well that she had to put the one of her toy poodles in another room away from everyone when they last saw the puppies because she had just been spayed that day and as you all know, poodles can be crazy and hyper and the breeder wanted her calm and rested.

I would love to see all those poodles :)

15. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

Hmmmm when we got our old dog we got her from a lady who musta had about 20 dogs of a few different breeds :| She was disabled too so she didnt walk them. This is going back a smal while.

16. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

I'd imagine they are in kennels.

Nothing wrong with that as long as they are getting one-on-one attention and exercise daily :)

17. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I would just like to say we arent far off 20 dogs we have 13 and are keeping a pup from our litter so will be 14

Our dogs are NOT kept in cages and are not all breed from in fact only 5 are good enough and some still to young so we have more rescues than we dog show dogs!!

They all get walked and are cared for very well..They all live in the house and are part of our family

We dont know this women so we cant really say that shes a puppy farmer for having that many dogs..she may be like my family and take in rescues of her choosen breed to!

Our breed is not an easy breed to keep.Puff have double coats and hairless need alot of skin care both need doing daily.we mange just fine..To give them all what they need there exercise, love and care!!

Or she may have been breeding a number of years and kept dogs that are no longer in the ring or are no longer going to be breed from!!! surely that better than them being out in to rescue!! where they would be in kennels all day!!

Im glad they have found a puppy Ad1980

#17 DevilDogz, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  18. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I personally don't see the big deal? So what? As someone previously posted some of those dogs may no longer be breeding stock and haven't been run on, breeder chose to keep them..And? I'm sure if they had run dogs on, people wouldn't be happy either, some folk can't win!

If I was the breeder you were talking about on here, I would be extremely upset and would more than likely give any deposit back that had been handed over and keep my pup.

19. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Oh cant wait for some pic's hurry up:)
    I have poodle cross breeds plus a toy poodle they are such clever dogs.

20. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Me too. Hopefully if i give my aunt and uncle the 'puppy dog eye' look when i go spend the day with my cousins in a couple of weeks they'll take me to see the puppies :) I'll post pics and everything :)

I can't wait and its not even my puppy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice