Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh Kenzie :(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, May 26, 2020.

1. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

One thing I've always found really good for gas in both myself and Ziggy (when she was alive and having digestive issues) is charcoal. You can get it in tablets, very cheap, or use wood charcoal such as for barbecues, ground to powder, and add say, half a teaspoon for a dog Kenzie's size, to each meal. Makes the resulting poos look a rather alarming colour, but if it works, who cares?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yup tried that too. Actually found it made her worse (maybe a coincidence ) but certainly not better. Still have half a bottle sitting in the cupboard.

lullabydream likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Now strangely enough Reena has come out in sympathy today ! She's been really miserable this afernoon but some colic drops ( dimethicone )seems to have helped a bit.
    I do hope you find something that helps her.

McKenzie and lullabydream like this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

'Liked' for solidarity, not that I'm glad Reena's not well! I'll talk to the vet about the colic drops too, just a bit wary of trying things without speaking to the vet first since she's such an odd case.

lullabydream likes this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sorry missed this.

There's no signs, and some days it's mild and other days it's really bad. She never shows 'upset tummy' signs like lip licking, she just groans and stands or sits hunched up.

I can get Slippery Elm here, I'll put it on the list.

We don't really walk in woodland-type places as I don't have that sort of thing local, and where I walked last year was vastly different to the sorts of places I'm walking this year.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi’s has stages - initially lip licks, next gulps and brings up lots of watery liquid or wretches until she does. Then progresses to food/bile and finally the pain and discomfort. If I act promptly and trickle feed her I can stop it before the food stage.
    It’s so hard to find a trigger. As I’ve said before, I’m not certain Heidi’s wasn’t stress related but bizarrely her seasonal pollen allergy is much better as well.
    I hope you can get to the bottom of Kenzie’s or at least find something that helps. Looking at her pic, I remember how Heidi used to look at me...........

Play about with Slippery Elm if you get it. Heidi had more relief with the powder sprinkled into her food but I also tried adding water(it goes really gloopy) and giving it a while before food to coat everything. It has a savoury taste.
    It helped Heidi but unfortunately it’s symptom relief, not getting to the cause.

I feel an idiopathic diagnosis if there ever is one.

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh see Kenzie gets none of that sort of sickness, she doesn't even get bilioius vomiting now she's on the Anallergenic, after having it her whole life!

I'll make a vet appointment for next week and report back!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

The bile/acid sickness seemed to ease or stop pain. If left it progressed to food and then severe pain.
    She’s much better now and it’s sounds like Kenzie is making progress. Blinking shame it’s flared up again though.
    Hope the new vet can help.

#28 Mum2Heidi, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  9. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

I can only sympathise. I hate when Nova has a tummy issue or flare up. Thankfully since the last big episode and the food change she’s been really good, no vomiting/diarrhoea/loose stool or gas. I could tell when her tummy was sore too and it’s really sad.

i tried slippery elm for Nova for the diarrhoea and she vomited after giving it to her a couple of times. I’m not sure if it was just a coincidence or if she reacted to it. Probiotics also didn’t help her.

I hope you can figure something out soon and if not at least how to manage it and make her more comfortable. Have you tried gently massaging her to alleviate the pain? That’s what Nova likes when she has a sore tummy.

Mum2Heidi and McKenzie like this.
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

She's been ok for the past two days which is good. A tummy rub works well if it's only a mild pain, but when she's really sore it doesn't help so much.

Sarah H and Mum2Heidi like this.
  11. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Wish I could help :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice