Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh Kenzie :(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, May 26, 2020.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well after having an awesome summer health-wise, it's now late autumn and McKenzie's tummy troubles are back :( So it looks like it's somehow seasonal like you said @Mum2Heidi , although the concept is bizarre! She's slowly but surely been showing the gassy tummy symptoms, and I just walked back in the room and found her standing hunched over on the sofa facing the cushions :Bored A tummy massage seemed to help and she's settled down now, but I know from last year that this is just the beginning.

I'm not sure if it's worth taking her to the vet. We have moved since last year so we do have a new vet, but she stumped two highly experienced vets last year so I'm not sure there's much point. We were at the stage of a biopsy last year when spring kicked in and her tummy sorted itself out, having exhausted every other option the two different vets could think of.

Not much point to this thread apart from saying woe is Kenzie!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Maybe now that it is more apparently linked to winter, your new vet might have some ideas?

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

That's true. She was at the vet about 2 weeks ago for her annual check up which was all clear and the vet asked about her tummy (had been reading her notes!) but at that point it was all good, and I did vaguely mention something about winter which she sort of went 'oh' about, but we didn't discuss it properly.

The only thing we never tried properly that I can think might help is Omeprazole, but she gets awful vomiting with it so it's a no-go.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Could it actually be the temperature that causes it? What happens if you make sure she is always kept nice and warm?

Mum2Heidi, Lurcherlad and McKenzie like this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Poor little tyke, she’s not happy this morning :(

8DFA0279-7096-4371-989D-945C786A4CFC.jpeg

caterpiller and Teddy-dog like this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

She does feel the cold so she wears an equafleece for most of the winter (inside and out!) and always has plenty of blankets to snuggle in. When I'm home I have the heating on and we have a heated throw which she spends most evenings on/under, so I'm not sure how I can keep her much warmer! :)

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Poor little sausage :(

Mum2Heidi and McKenzie like this.
  8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Do you feed her more in the colder months, than the summer?

Am just thinking out loud here. I know some dogs might need more food in the winter/summer due to exercise depending on your dog and the exercise. Depends on the person really, some of us hibernate and do less exercise in the winter, some of us just can't bare the heat and therefore do less walking, etc.. It's really dependent.

It's also can very much on how much energy dogs spend keeping warm. I know McKenzie has always been an equafleece queen, and definitely more so as you are worried about her joints and ahem middle aged spread. So you want to keep her lean. I know she's always warm and comfy in the colder months from the photos, but I do wonder if there is something in it that she needs slightly more food in the winter months.

I know Eevee feels the cold, and I did think in January it might have been changing her from wet food from kibble that she was starting to feel a bit slimmer than normal. I upped her food slightly and I think it helped a bit. As in how she feels to touch, but she doesnt have stomach issues.

Am also

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Just have to get to work - will reply later!

lullabydream likes this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Awww, she does look miserable !
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but Reena has similar episodes and I've found gas absorbing medicines help her enormously. I bought some called Gas Busters , they are huge but break up easilly and she will take them blended with a little yoghurt.
    Did you say you'd tried anti-spasmodics like Buscopan ?
    Sorry if I'm going over old ground.

Mum2Heidi, Lurcherlad and McKenzie like this.
  11. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Poor kenzie :( no advice but I hope she feels more comfortable. Must be awful not knowing what causes it

12. caterpiller

caterpiller No thoughts, head empty.

Oh poor lil Kenzie! Hope she feels better soon. (You've probably already tried but...) perhaps doggy probiotics? Aside from that... not sure what could be causing it :( .

13. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Oh no! Not again, poor little monkey. Nothing to add really just hope it doesn't get too bad.

lullabydream, Mum2Heidi and McKenzie like this.
  14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

She holds her weight pretty well year round. I give her a touch more food in winter, but nothing significant. I can imagine that perhaps if I suddenly started feeding more that it might cause more gas, but not sure it would work the other way around.

Yes she's been on an anti-spasmodic long-term last year but it made no difference.

Are the Gas Busters a human medication? Given the vast range of things the vets tried, I feel like this would have been a no-brainer, unless we don't have something like that here? Or perhaps she's had whatever the active ingredient is?

Yes, we've tried several different probiotics, to no effect.

15. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Poor Kenzie!!! You must be so frustrated.

16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Poor girly :(

Hard to know what to suggest as no doubt you’ve tried just about everything to solve this issue.

Years ago I was diagnosed with an ulcer and the pain was always worse when my stomach was empty. Eating a small snack used to help. Is it worth splitting her meals so she grazes more throughout the day?

Could there be a seasonal plant she nibbles at this time of year?

I think it’s worth exploring with the new vet as she might come up with a new approach.

Is it worth looking at a low daily dose of painkiller or anti inflammatory to keep her comfortable and avoid these episodes? Jack’s now on lowest dose Gabapentin and Loxicom daily for the recent back issue (99% sure spine/arthritis but no scans cos of covid) and that has worked and he is back to normal and showing no signs of discomfort. The vet says he can stay on it indefinitely and no major side affects to worry about.

Torin., Sarah H, lullabydream and 2 others like this.
  17. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks for your reply :) I currently do 4 meals for her - breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. It tends to be after eating that she gets the gas build up. I don't think it's a plant or anything like that - she's never out unsupervised and we live in a totally different place to last winter (as in, 13 hours away!)

Yes I think I will pop her into the new vet - you never know when someone might just think a bit differently and hit upon a solution. She was on a long term anti-inflam last year and I do have a painkiller for, but it's just for when she needs it and I probably err on the side of not giving it more often than not. But something to discuss with the vet for sure.

18. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Gas Busters is veterinary medicine ( OTC) containing ginger, parsley and slippery elm. I also give Reena baby colic drops containing dimethicone or simethicone, they help too.Dorwest Tree Bark might help ?
    Reena hasn't had an episode since the warmer weather so possibly a seasonal link there too.
    I'm really praying and hoping you can find something to help her, it's heartbreaking to see these little mites suffering.

#18 SusieRainbow, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  19. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

A quick google suggests Gas Busters isn't available here but I'll mention it to the vet, likewise with Dorwest Tree Bark.

I guess I'd really like to know WHY she's having this issue rather than just treating it. But I realise that it just may not be possible to find the cause.

Sarah H and Mum2Heidi like this.
  20. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Aww Kenzie I’m so sorry to hear this.
    Whatever it is - it’s dreadful.
    Heidi has a “nose up” command in winter. Bless her, she adheres to it as if she knows rotting leaves etc. exacerbate.

She’s much better lately. We went to the local reserve nearly every day last winter. Kept out of the woods and she was fine. Sone other places effect her but it’s milder and addressed quickly comes to nothing and we avoid that place.
    Perhaps it’s something they grow out of.

I would give the new vet a try. You never know.

Slippery Elm powder helped I think. Knowing it soothes and heals helped me.

Are there any signs before it flares up?
    Heidi lip licks. First sign of that we avoid recent walk area in winter/stop new treat trial in summer.
    Something I’ve just thought of - occasionally food or treat that’s been fine for ages suddenly disagrees.

McKenzie and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice