Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh, gross! What was that?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Dutchypoodle, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Dutchypoodle

Dutchypoodle PetForums Newbie

I just brought home a new rat, to join a lonely juvenile dumbo. I had the two of 'em chilling on my shoulder this evening, when the newbie lifted his tail and dropped an off-white glob on my shirt, about the size of a cherry pit.
    Well, upon closer investigation, that glob was composed of a million tiny little worms, about a millimeter long. Writhing, gross. I've never had a rat with internal parasites, before-- this is freaking me out!

The offending rat's fecal matter is devoid of these worms, upon visual inspection. What's going on, here?!

Cage has been scrubbed, bedding replaced, rats bathed. In the meantime, I'm wondering if it's even appropriate to de-worm a rat. Any suggestions?

2. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

well if the rat is as full as the be releasing worms in its fecese then you most deffinately need to de-worm the both rats now as your current rat will get them pretty quickly. you may be able to get some kind of worming product from a pet shop but it may be best to go to a vet.

3. Dutchypoodle

Dutchypoodle PetForums Newbie

I'll be bringin' them to the vet this afternoon.
    That's the weird part, though. He's releasing worms independent of his feces. Y'know, because poop-worms would be too normal.
    Poor, poor bugger.

4. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

poor guy, where did you get him from ???

i would really complain about this as he could have died if not treated :(

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

he could have eaten them if they were fly larvae they could have been laid around his cage before you bought him or even in the cage at your house.. the wee buggers get everywhere and rats tend to eat stuff like that to see if it's nice.

We've had a few infestations that we couldn't figure out where they came from (at home! but nothing was new). if he's coughed them up then changes were they weren't in his tummy anyway as rats technically can't be sick (from what i know), so his faeces wouldn't be affected. I'd do a deep clean of their cage; bars and all, toys and food containers. Throw any food not in sealed containers out and any food that is damp out. If you've given him any fresh food (salad etc) it might have come from that, either eggs laid on it or eggs already on it before you used it.

if he's still vomiting them i would quarantine him until he's better.

hope he's alright :D it's somethign rats must be used to so i wouldn't be too worried, cats get this sort of thing all the time with wet food attracting flies specially in summer so i doubt you've anything to worry about rat wise, it's unpleasant rather than unhealthy or life threatening.

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

These sound like pinworms - not unusual in small animals, hamsters, rats, etc. They can't be passed on to people and are easy to treat. Heavy infestations may affect the condition of your rat but they're usually not too badly affected.

Rat mite treatment (Ivermectin) usually also controls them. Very icky, I know, but not too serious! You may need to treat all your rats and any other small animals you have to get control of the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice