Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh deer!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by metaldog, Jun 17, 2010.

1. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I went out for a walk in the woods tonight. Both the dogs were on their leads and under close control when a deer came out of the trees and attacked Bizkit. It kept running at him and kicking at him with it's front feet. I threw the poop scoop at it but it came back for another go but I had a pet corrector in my bag so sprayed it at the deer a couple of times and then it ran away.

I told the rangers and they said the deer are calving. It is their natural instinct is to attack and drive out predators and are well known for attacking dogs at this time of year.

Luckily he was non the worse for his experience and went on to have his very first swim :)

2. serpentseye

serpentseye PetForums Member

wow!

thats random...' hello, today a deer attacked my dog! .....lol

i'm glad hes okay :)

3. Oddball

Oddball Guest

Deer are nutters I swear :lol:

And from experience, they gawd well hurt! ;)

At least the dog isn't traumertized by the whole event :)

4. rona

rona Guest

I would assume it was a fallow deer and not a roe. It's really unusual for deer to attack anything, but if the have a fawn close by, it's possible.
    They usually get the dogs attention and draw them away.
    Deer haven't very good eyesight and may have mistaken Bizkit for another deer :lol:
    How did he react?

5. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

It was a huge Red Deer and I don't think it thought he was another deer because the ranger said they always attack dogs at this time of year. Bizkit got a bit over excited and tried to defend us, but because he was on the lead and I stayed calm I kept the situation under control As soon as it went away I got him to sit until he was calm.

I thought it was a bit random too :lol:

#5 metaldog, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. rona

rona Guest

:yikes: Not for a minute did I think that you would have come face to face with a Red Deer. That must have been frightening, they are huge :scared:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice