Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh dear help Staffy Breader

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by madcow, Apr 17, 2011.

1. madcow

madcow PetForums Junior

I have just left a deposit 2 weeks a go on a Staff puppy. The people that Bred her seem quite poor, but never mind don't judge a book by its cover.
    Decided to pay visits to see her progress. The mother looks exceeding skinniy, yes I know she has just given birth. ;)
    I took with me yesterday some raw hide chews. I had put them in my bag which was closed when I went in to see my pup. Mother dog was all over me or rather my bag. I did ask if she could have 1. Wow it took it like it had not been fed for a week. :eek:
    Rightly or wrongly I emailed the owner later to say that I had some food my dog refused to eat would they like it for the mother. Soft touch me. Of course the accepted gratefully. ( I bought the food to give to them)
    What worrys me is mum needs feeding up and they can't aford to do it, this is why I did what I did and of course for my new pups well being.
    My daughter said. Just ride it out another 4 weeks and she will be coming to a much better home!

#1 madcow, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

IMO they shouldn't even be entertaining the idea of breeding their dog if they can't afford to feed her properly.

3. niki

niki PetForums Senior

Sounds like they've bred her just to make a bit of money, which makes you wonder if mother and pup are getting the necessary care and attention they need or if they're just seeing ££££.

4. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

My girl was super skinny after giving birth and ate like food was going out of fashion..to me this sounds completely normal.
    What makes you think that the breeders can't afford to feed them?
    Do they have other dogs? if so what condition are they in?
    And just to add...my girl did'nt start to put weight on until after the puppies had stopped feeding...so it could be completely innocent.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I dont breed, but I think its usually about 4 weeks that pups should start being weaned on to puppy food. How old are the pups now? If the Mum is being fed properly all through the pregnancy and raising of pups she should really still be in decent condition and should have decent amount of weight on her. If she isnt being fed properly and feeding the pups too she would be skinny. If they havent wormed the mum and pups then that too probably wouldnt be helping. Pups should be wormed starting at 2 weeks, then every 2/3 weeks until they are 12 weeks old. Did they say what age they are planning to re-home the pups?

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

they sound like all round terrible breeders:(

more staffies dear me.

7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

That's awful, if they can't afford to feed her how on earth did they think they were going to pay for the expenses of breeding- there were so many things that could, and still can, go wrong and result in very hefty vet bills. Then there's all the extra puppy food, vet checks, first injections (although I doubt they'll bother)... so, so sad.

It's all well and good me saying this, because I'm not the one with my heart set on a pup I've met, but I'd walk away. If you, and others like you, buy puppies- they'll see the bitch as a way of making income and breed her all the more, and with the desperate Staffie rescue situation in this country at the moment, it'll just be more pups and dogs PTS. Harsh, but true.

I understand how you feel though, and I do feel like a hypocrite because years ago I brought a 4.5 week old Westie puppy from a similar situation. I know I shouldn't have but my heart ruled my head. I've learnt from my mistake though, the pup in question is now 8 years old and has been an amazing little dog, but there has been health problem after health problem- he's now very nearly blind after developing cataracts at just 4 years old, he has ongoing skin problems (thankfully under control at the minute) and catches any little bug going around.

Who knows, the mother may even be skinny because of a health problem which could have been passed onto the puppies- they don’t sound like the type of people to health test! Pease don't buy this little one- I know it's hard, but funding breeders like this will only make the problem worse- you may save one little puppy, but what about the rest in the litter, and the litters afterwards once the ''breeder'' sees that mating his bitch produces £££.

Please, please look elsewhere. Go to a decent Staffie breeder and get yourself a health tested KC reg puppy- or a million times better still, go to your local rescue centre and offer a home to one of the thousand of Staffie and Staffie crosses in pounds and rescue centres at the moment. They’re not all older dogs, you’ll find plenty of puppies and young dogs too.

8. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

well i have bred and i can assure you that my girl was well fed all through her pregnancy and after the birth on top quality food and huge amounts...she was also wormed regular using the best wormer but she was still skinny after the birth.
    My vet told me she was very healthy and this was normal so i wouldnt be too worried by a skinny mother personally :)

9. Sled dog hotel

I know people who have bred, and their bitches were still in decent body condition and weight, and all the pups in the litter were born and continued to be pretty uniform weight. Maybe they were just lucky then.

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Why would you give them money, if you buy a pup it just creates a space for them to keep breeding :frown2:

are the parents fully health tested? registered?

11. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

I agree...if there really is something amiss with these people then why buy a puppy from them in the first place??
    I know it's so easy to go along and view the puppies and fall in love regardless but i know when i start looking for my pug,i will only be buying from reputable breeders that can prove the health of the parents.

12. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

But if you are the kind of breeder like me who does everything by the book and feeds only the best food and worms on a regular basis and is reasured by a vet of the bitches health then surely that is normal :confused:

13. Sled dog hotel

iYou cant do much more than you have/did then, maybe if its a very large litter whatever you do the bitch will loose some weight or condition. As long as the vet says they are healthy and fine, then you couldnt do much more in that case.

Reading between the lines though in the OPs case, and the Staffy breeding/situation in general, not of course including the good staffie breeders
    it does sound a bit likely to be the oh too familiar situation to a degree. Of course I and others could be totally wrong, cant say it is or isnt for sure, we havent seen the situation first hand.

14. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

Yes thats why i ased if there were other dogs there...that way it would be easier to determine whether it is down to neglect or it is just a case of the bitch losing weight due to giving birth.
    If indeed ther are other dogs that are skinny then there is noway i would have given these people my money...in fact i would hve been straight on the phone to the rspca...under no circumstances should a unhealthy,underfed bitch be bred from :mad:

15. That does not sound good, nor does it sound like a breeder you should be funding. Call the RSPCA? You cant pay for them to feed their dogs and the litter they decided to have. Also if they cant afford to feed the dogs it begs 2 questions:

1) What are they going to do never wean the pups off mum?

2) What happens if the pups need serious medical attention?

What happens if not all the pups sell? If they cant afford to feed the dog/dogs they have.

16. madcow

madcow PetForums Junior

Many thanks for your reply.
    1/ My 1st instinct was to turn and run

2/ I suppose all I am trying to do is make sure at least 1 of these pups goes to a good home. ie me.

3/ I did see mum after birth she was not under weight then. Also met the dad to pups.

I have a staffy already who was given to me from a negected home.

When I went food bowl was empty but clean. If I can help feed this dog I will. Stupid I know.
    I know what you are saying about encouraging them to breed more.
    They appear to treat the dogs with kind.
    I have fallen for this pup big style.
    I might ring rspca tomorrow but don't want to shoot myself in the foot if you get my drift.

17. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Most definitely. You have another 6 weeks of waiting, not 4. I'd forget about my deposit and run for the hills.

18. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

This is going to sound a mad question but where abouts are you? Only there is someone local to me thats just done a back to back with her male staff and her female staff cross, resulting in 8 pups I think - breeding for money, mum is servely under weight! I know of this as a friend, speaks with the breeder. I would walk away its hard but better all round, saving one life results in 5 or so more :(

19. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I'm not going to get into the rights and wrongs of this - but what I would say is on her first litter, my bitch looked a complete wreck by the end of it.

She was eating around 2/2.5kg of food every day, a chicken a day, mince and oily fish - and treats - at the end of it all, she looked like a waif with no coat - what it took out of her was unreal and it took a fair while to get her back into condition.

Every bitch is different, but looking skinny is not necessarily an indication of a poorly kept bitch - neither is grabbing any opportunity to get food or treats - OK I have Labs - but apart from one, they will never turn down an opportunity for food :(

Have to agree if you think this breeder is so poor - why are you lining their pockets - all it will do is make them realise they can get away with producing even more pups from this poor girl.

20. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I don't know anything about breeding or the situation you are in...but i bought a staffie pup and she was a heart ruling head situation parents not tested not KC reg not a great house family like you say a bit poor and i adore my girl and i would not swap her for the world now....but if i was to do it again i would have walked out of that room without my pup, we have had 2 years of nothing but health issues, ear infection after ear infection followed by a cough that wouldn't go away caused by issues with her windpipe followed by eye infections that took an age to clear then we had an allergy to grass and her stomach (all off her stomach) blistered and going on through all of this was her on goins degestive troubles allergies to foods sensitive stomach irritable bowel...all put down to bad breeding.
    My pup is lucky she ended up with someone that cared as the family didn't care where the pups went she could have ended up anywhere and do you know what she was 1 of 5, i feel physically sick thinking what happened to her brother and sisters....those poor pups could have ended up in some real old messes!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice