Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oh bugger :(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Iluvmypets, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Iluvmypets

Iluvmypets PetForums Member

Our little 4 month old Yorkie pup got into my daughters bedroom and ate half a stick of chewing gum in the wrapper... it was a whole stick but we only managed to get half of it off her. What's going to happen now? re.. poop and stuff?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I have something in the back of my head that says artificial sweeteners are very bad for dogs (lots of dogs die from tic tacs or something) so it might be worth giving the vet a call and seeing what they say.

3. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

I don't want to alarm you at all but chewing gum contains a substance called Xylitol which is highly toxic and lethal to dogs. They can develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, which can cause weakness, lethargy, loss of coordination, collapse and seizures.
    I am not sure if half a packet is enough to cause problems, maybe someone else on here knows.
    As your puppy is so young though I would be inclined to ring the emergency vet and ask advice.

4. rose

rose PetForums VIP

I wouldnt really know, but I cant see how such a small piece could do much harm, most times you probably wouldnt even know theyd eaten any.

5. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I'm not entirely sure but some things like chewing gum can contain a type of sweetner called xylitol (think thats the spelling) which can be highly toxic to dogs.

6. trixiemixy

trixiemixy Guest

I would go to the vet as most people are saying.

As I'm sure that chewing gum is not supposed to be very good for dogs, but then I don't know how much they would need to eat for it to toxic/lethal. But better be safe than sorry .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice