Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Offlead Dave!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, May 7, 2010.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

You might remember I was having 'teenage' troubles with my boy. And that I wouldn't let him off lead up the road by the school (no one uses it) unless he was on his own and I could tell he was listening.

Well tonight I took the dogs a walk and Dixie was off lead from the grass verge by the horse field, Dave was whinging because he wanted to go.
    They both sat and waited when I gave the horse a carrot then I decided ''f**k it'' and let Dave off telling him ''Behave''

He was very good! He ran after Dixie once, told him no, told them both 'get out of there' when they headed for the driveway of the big house Lol

Dave went and found a big stick, Dixie kept trying to steal it but her mouth was too wee. He wasn't even going far, maybe a few metres (with the odd spint after madam) then circling back round me, I had to move over every time as he kept smacking me with the stick!

On the way back I actually had to put Dixie on the lead, she normally walks right next to me all the way home (if I hear a car I put her back on) but Dave stayed right next to me with his big stick and when he went a few steps infront I just said his name and he stopped and waited for me :D

So think I have discovered he behaves more if he can hold something :thumbup:

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Good to hear you had a fab walk :)
    Dave obviously likes to have a job :D

3. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Well done Dave! Bramble likes to adopt things on his walk and he'll carry them home and give them to OH... If he's concentrating he's usually better behaved.

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Good boy Dave! Bob loves carrying things too, if he's got something in his mouth he walks to heel perfectly, if he hasn't he's always trying to surge ahead to try & find something to carry

5. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

good boy Dave :)

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave was offlead all the way home today, carrying his log (seriously I would have had trouble getting it in the fire)
    Then we saw a cat! :eek: Dave really really likes to chase cats.
    So I said No, Come.
    And he did :D :thumbup:

I really am going to use this carrying method more. I was going to try letting him carry a ball, really glad I didnt as the first log he abandoned in the bog in favour of a muddy one!
    He was biting Dixie at the start of the walk until I told them to calm down and find a stick (no, a twig wont do it has to be too big for Dixie's mouth or she steals it!) then he was ok.

ps he will do as hes told and leave a stick if I think its able to chew up and get stuck, and I never throw them.

7. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

just noticed you gave birth..... Conrats to you and ur OH....

Well done dave too

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

What a good boy Dave.

When I was little our family had a JRT Timmy. He was a monster and would fight given half a chance but give him a stick to carry he was good as gold and would calmly walk past dogs that he would normaly fight.

His sticks were more like half a tree and what he loved to do was if 2 of you were walking him he would run up behind you with his tree in his mouth run between you and take your legs from under you. Never did on the adults though just the kids:001_cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice