UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched the great british food revival & on about offal - do you, have you, would you eat it?

Looking at raw food most of it we would just give to our dogs but who actually eats it themselves. Its cheap, can be tasty but are we so spoilt now we just go yuk.

Its semi rural where I live and parents are not only old but old fashioned. I recall dad being unable to work for a while when I was a child due to 6 slipped disks (work injury & hardly any benefits then) so he was in agony. Steak & kidney pie well yes yum yum, oxtail stew was pretty tasty too but we went seriously offaly - remember mum cooking heart and I absolutely hated it blurgh and have a real issue with liver. Dad & bros would eat brawn (pigs brian I believe :eek:) but I was fussy mare and would touch that either and as to tripe noooo gross. I always refused rabbit and would have toast instead, not because of fluffy reasons I just did not like it or the bones

What about everyone else

·
Premium Member
33,952 Posts
I was just thinking thta liver onions and bacon, might have that for dinner tomorrow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
my dad used to keep pigs and would eat nearly every bit, it was disgusting. I used to retch when he was making brawn. We had to see the pigs head being boiled and stripped and the smell was foul. My dad used to be so proud of his brawn and take it down the pub on a Sunday for all his cronies. I cant eat any offal whatsoever and it took me years to eat any meat. My nan also used to try and get me to dress fowl, another gruesome task. They then used to boil all the innards to make stock for gravy urghhhhhhhhhh I feel quite ill thinking of it.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my nieces is really fussy, no to pasta, toast has to be buttered the right side :)confused:) but adores liver & onions. On the tv thing its seen as proper posh and they charge £40 for an offal meal in fancy restaurants :eek: its what kept poor folk going years ago, remember mum making a meal with belly pork.

Not many places even sell much offal now - Morrisons had a gold star for selling it. Even though my old mum cooked such stuff I wouldn't have a clue how to cook a heart yet I get a huge one for Dougie and it costs £2.

Mum used to get a cows tongue from the butchers and make her own tongue - I can eat it bought sliced but the sight of a full tongue really is not very nice :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I LOVE liver! And steak and kidney mmmmm yummy!!
I must admit iv never eaten any other offal and the thought of tripe makes me feel quite ill, but i feed it to the dogs with no problems :D

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
ive never tried brains, but im happy to try anything once... in theory...

liver and kidney i hate. i could probably stomach liver but no way to kidney - sorry :eek:

i tried heart when my aunt cooked it for her dog and if i remember i didnt mind it but ive not had it since.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mum used to make home made pate at christmas with chicken livers and that was proper yummy. But never been keen on the liver texture but could eat it but lordy I am the only one to have eaten heart - I really really hated it, would leave a manky greasy layer on the roof of your mouth argh seriously not nice

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive never tried brains, but im happy to try anything once... in theory...

liver and kidney i hate. i could probably stomach liver but no way to kidney - sorry :eek:

i tried heart when my aunt cooked it for her dog and if i remember i didnt mind it but ive not had it since.
Thats quite brave to try heart.

I am the other way, can eat kidney but do not like liver ........... shudder

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
Thats quite brave to try heart.

I am the other way, can eat kidney but do not like liver ........... shudder
i dont like liver, i just really cannot stand kidney :lol:

when my mum used to do liver and onions for everyone i got sausages (probably more offal and bone than they were getting in their damn liver) and i used to just have the liver gravy, which for some reason i liked?!

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
theres a farm shop with a cafe that we used to go to on our way back from lincolnshire and they used to advertise brains on toast. Apparently if you ate it ll you didnt have to pay for it?!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
One of my nieces is really fussy, no to pasta, toast has to be buttered the right side :)confused:) but adores liver & onions. On the tv thing its seen as proper posh and they charge £40 for an offal meal in fancy restaurants :eek: its what kept poor folk going years ago, remember mum making a meal with belly pork.

Not many places even sell much offal now - Morrisons had a gold star for selling it. Even though my old mum cooked such stuff I wouldn't have a clue how to cook a heart yet I get a huge one for Dougie and it costs £2.

Mum used to get a cows tongue from the butchers and make her own tongue - I can eat it bought sliced but the sight of a full tongue really is not very nice :tongue_smilie:
my nan used to make lovely tongue, cooked to perfection

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.