Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

off to obedience training , maybe

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by c20spit, Aug 14, 2009.

1. c20spit

c20spit PetForums Junior

dear old sam is now 19-20 weeks old, massive and learning to be obstinate rather well, we are doing our puppy classes and clicker training but i'm thinking of sending him off to boarding school one day to get trained by professionals, its a 4 week stay and in my books worth it as they say the estrella's are tough to train, and i think he'll scare people when he's off lead .i was wondering what the best age to do this would be?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Why cant you continue with his training?

The problem with these sorts fo centres, is that the dog learns to listen to the handler, comes home, then wont listen to the owner.

Training is about building up a relationship with the dog. With most classes, its about training the owner, just as much as the dog.

Personally, i see it as passing the buck to someone else, and not putting in the effort.

3. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I would go to the classes with him. I took my pups on tuesday and i enjoyed it just as much as them. Not only that its a great opportunity to bond more with them

4. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

training classes are about training the owner to handle the dog.
    They are good as u are in a busy enviroment and the dog has many distractions and they learn to listen to u and u build up a relationship. Its half the fun of owning a dog, learning to interact and bond with ur dog.
    A good recall takes time but as long as u r the most important/exciting thing in ur dogs life they will come back to u no probs..no matter what the breed.
    U can always use a long line till u master it!
    I would never send any of my dogs to boarding school, and my dogs breeder would be mortified at the idea.
    I have met a few estrella's and they all seemed pretty docile and friendly dogs,.

5. rona

rona Guest

How the hell are they going to train a dog in 4 weeks!!!!!
    Do you know what methods will be used?

6. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

That was the first thing that came to mind. Training with your dog is a wonderful way to bond but its also essential for the dog to undertand who the boss is. Unless the owner stays with the dog for 4 weeks I don't see the benefits.

Part of the responsibilities of getting a dog is putting in the hard work yourself.

7. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I tend to agree with the above post plus training is an on going thing all the dogs life

8. c20spit

c20spit PetForums Junior

i'm not saying i'm not training him, we go every week and practise at home and will continue to do so, i think you are reading too much into my post, even the title says maybe. if sampson gets to 10-12 months old and is not under a good level of control then i will think about getting him trained by a professional, these dogs are very large and although friendly can be scary if you don't know them. hopefully by the time he's a year old he'll be good off the lead, but there is always the possiblity that he may not be, even if its only a 1 in 1000 chance, the possibility still exists, so i was just seeing what people thought about these courses. he's got his down command so far and were working on stay next week:)

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am another that thinks there is absolutely no point in sending a dog away to be trained. It is the owner that needs training to handle the dog. If you want an intensive course can you find a residential course that you go to with your dog. At the moment it sounds like you are getting on fine though, I would just carry on going to a good class once or twice a week. A large dog is still a baby at the age your dog it, and is going through the stubborn age - keep training and the dog will be fine. I rather wonder what sort of trainer would take your dog for 4 weeks and train it, probably not the sort of person you want around the dog I would say. I have actually taken the odd dog for training as last resorts for the owner but I would never ever recommend it as the ultimate answer.

10. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

you are right there went to class last night with barney we really enjoyed it i have never done clicker training before so it was me they were training i think the trainer needed a medal lol:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice