Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Off-leash help?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Chrizzi, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Chrizzi

Chrizzi PetForums Newbie

My brittany spaniel, Sammy, needs some off-leash training. When he's on-leash, he walks pretty well most of the time, and when I let go of the leash, he's fine too, but when I actually take the leash off, he bolts. Then he thinks of it as a game, and stays just out of my reach. How can I train him to stay closer? I want to be able to let him off leash so that he can get more excercise, since he'd be able to run, but I can never get him to come back.

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

We had the same problem with our Lakeland,so we got a 30ft lead and put this on him when we got to an open space,so he could run off a distance from us ,then recalled him after a few minutes,if he came back he got a treat,if he ignored us then we slowly made the lead shorter by about half and the recalled again,then repeated recall,and did this over several days,he soon learnt to come back,he has to sit right in front of me to get the treat so i can put the lead back on when ready to finish the off lead time it took about 2 weeks before i let him off lead,while we were doing this the only time we spoke to him was for recall,
    Good luck

3. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

I have the same problem with my 9mth old collie. It is so bad that i have enlisted the help of 'bark busters' and one of their trainers is coming the week after next. It is quite expensive but i am desperate!!!Tried the long lead (not quite 30ft though, think mine was about 18ft) and she recalled perfectly each time-until i let her off the lead and then it was standoff time again.

4. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Be VERY wary of Barkbusters. I've heard terrible things about them. Not saying they are all bad, but do you realise that it's a franchise and you don't actually need to have ever owned a dog, let alone trained one, to buy the franchise and set yourself up as a dog trainer??

Avoid anyone who goes on too much about "dominance" and if they don't use positive methods, tell them where to go. They are also, as you say, very expensive and I've heard of people spending a LOT of money without the problem ending up being solved.

Please be careful.

5. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

:eek:

That's just terrifying!

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Sure is :mad:

7. Chrizzi

Chrizzi PetForums Newbie

How much IS Barkbusters?

8. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

£275. The first visit they are here for 2-3 hours and then as many times as necessary for a year.I will certainly as what qualifications/experience she has. I just didnt know what else to do - my back could not take anymore!!!

9. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Have you tried bribery.Have something really tasty,liver,black pudding etc always with you and try to make yourself the most interesting thing to him when he's on a walk.

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

We got a long lead called them back with something really tasty mine will do anything for some cheese and give them the treat when they came back. They weren't allowed offlead until they were doing that consistantly and then we did it in an enclosed space until we could be sure they would do it offlead.

11. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I would carry on with the long lead for as long as it takes ,we were at our wits end with our dog and recall,we paid a lot of money for someone to come teach us where we were going wrong,i may just aswell have thrown money down the drain,i then decided to try the long lead,it took awhile,i would take my dog out in the morning without feeding him breakfast ,and not talk to him at all untill i recalled him,that is the only time i talk to him now when out,it took awhile but it worked and untill it did at least he was on lead and could not run off for 3 hrs which is what he was doing.
    I wish you lots of luck whatever you choose i know how it can be, to not want to walk a dog who really needs off lead exercise but not know what he will do about recall,im glad to say our dog now recalls ,but at one stage i thought it would never happen,hes a Lakeland x yob :D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice