Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Off lead walking

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by flubberdub, Aug 11, 2009.

1. flubberdub

flubberdub PetForums Junior

Any tips on starting off lead walking??

I have a 7 month pup and he has been off the lead a few times when with other dogs and always comes back when called, but OH took him and let him off lead when no other dogs around and he ran off, across a road, and was luckly caught by someone! This makes me nervous now and a bit reluctant to let him off lead although I am desperate to!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What sort of recall training have you done?

You could try a longline (i think you can get 30ft ones) and practice with one of those.

Recall and pulling are two of the hardest things to deal with.

3. flubberdub

Hi

We have donerecall, and he does come when he wants to!, if he picks up a smell hes not interested in anybody! We do have a retractable lead, but may get a longer one, the other doesn't go far. He is a good walker, just got him to walk to heel!!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

5. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

We did a simple little thing that worked perfectly for us.

Let the dog off the lead, call it back and give it a treat but dont put the lead on. Call it back and put the lead on, give a treat once the lead is on. Let it off the lead, let play for a biit, call back for a treat.

Apparently the point is to get it through to them being callled back will ALWAYS mean a treat (for a while anyway) but it doesn't always mean the end of playtime. They also get to realise that the majority of the time you call them it ends in good things (treats) rather than time to go home.

It worked for us anyway.

6. rona

rona Guest

Do you go to training classes?
    Some trainers train outside, maybe it would be worth trying to find one of these

7. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I think at 7 months old they will be so busy with things in the big outside world they forget. I think the long training lead would be useful until he gets the message. It will improve in time

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

This is a great method. Also, as your dog will walk to heel on the lead, train him to walk to heel off the lead as well - do this in the garden at first. He needs to know he has to do what you want when he is off the lead too!

9. badabing

badabing PetForums Junior

I have a 7 month Sheltie and walk him to the park and for the past 2 weeks have let him off the lead. However he gets easily distracted chasing butterflies, birds, wasps etc but he always came back when i called him. However yesterday that went out the window..he stubbornly refused to sit-stay or return so after 10 mins i started to run away in the opposite direction & when he noticed this he returned to me. I hope this is only a phase he is going thru because the park is busy with kids, dogs and other distractions !!:confused:

10. flubberdub

Have purchased a long lead from e bay as recommended in an earlier post. Today we went to the park with the neighbour and her dog, he was really good, kept coming back to me when calling him, gave him a treat when he did this, but then he got the ball of the neighbours dog and proceeded to run towards the exit, I called him, my neighbour called him but he paid no attention, then just decided he would come back!! My heart did stop as this is where he ran out into the road when the OH had him. Praised him lots for coming back!
    I think as mentioned earlier he is busy with things like smells and butterflys etc and in time will learn to come back.
    He will walk to heel in garden as long as a treat is available!! Its all about his tummy!!

11. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I done the same with mine

I started at home. Just randomly croutched down and called them to me and gave some chicken. I done this for about a week then i took them to the field and tried it and its worked everytime.

After a few weeks i started giving a treat every other time and now they only get 1 or 2.

I have started this with my new pups and so far is working and we are off to puppy classes this evening

12. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

we used the long line too, Inca was a nightmare fore coming back, i used to refuse to let her offlead unless Gypsy was around as she would go fetch her for me. but its the whistle that has made the difference for me. i don't have 100% recall but it is sharper, and almost instant.

13. Thats exactly what we did with Holly. and does work pretty quickly. we used a clicker with treats. nearly all my training was done by clicker. I rarely use it anymore but do if i want her to learn something else

14. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

The call and treat i definetly the way to go i did that with my pups from being 8 weeks old then at 12 weeks they were able to go out i let them off the lead sraight away on the large fired near us so no dangers i always say the younger the better they have a natural instict/need to be close at that age a great stage to build on, mine have always had excellent recall they are springers and i like them to be off lead they need to be off lead. but yes definetly the treat method but also it needs to be within 2/3 seconds of them getting to you else the moment is lost and the pup will not relate the two, if ever they have been a little hesitant looking at me and thinking about it:rolleyes: i let them see me get the treat out and its always worked everytime. good luck with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice