Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Off lead vs. On lead

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tash, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Tash

Tash PetForums Member

So I now love having Benji off lead. I used to stress over it as he'd only come back half the time and pretty much when HE felt like it rather than when I call him but now it's about 90% of the time which I can live with though we're still very much working on it.

But I also don't want to forget about his on lead walks so I was wondering. If we went for an hours on lead walk, would that tire him out quite a lot? I know being off lead he has further to run around and play with other dogs etc but surely an hours on lead walk will also tire out his little body? Especially with lots of training involved such as sits, waits, heel etc? I just don't want to remain focused on the off lead walks all the time and slack off on the on lead walks is all. It's probably a silly question, but I need reassurance that being on lead sometimes isn't all bad. :eek:

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My dogs get a lot of running round off lead but also get a lot of road work behind the driving ponies. Candy does not manage more than a mile or two but Toffee will stay down doing several miles of fast work. She is a small dog and she finds it sufficient. It is very fast though a lot of the time and we cover about 6 miles an hour. If we have a couple of days when we do not drive ponies then Candy will be very full of herself through lack of exercise so presumably even the small amount she copes with is enough for her each day that she has it.

3. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Yes :)

I do lots of training walks with Rossi which are on lead either in a field or on a walk. The focus is training so do everything he knows without being to stingy! He knows the command 'go sniff' which essentially means go do what you like until I call you back.

They tire him out so I'm sure they will work for you :)

4. Prowl

Prowl Guest

All depends on things what breed your dog is, what type of walk you do ect and how much sniffing.

My dog is a sniffer she sniffs everything, investigates everything but stays on the lead unless we are at the beach when appropriate.

I have done a lot of recall training with Millie and found the only place she comes back when called and I have her entire focus is the beach so thats the only place goes off lead anywere else and she pretty much comes when she feels like.

Its a shame but I know my dog and won't have her running out of site all over the place and ignoring me.

I use a flexi she goes as far as I feel happy and has a great time if she didn't I would have to re think things.

We pretty much have routine routue and the beach is on the way when its available. I find I walk her for an hour on the flexi and she is pretty warn out when we get home and she is a cocker spaniel show type :>

I think some dogs settle more with a routine direction and are happy with whatever when they know were they are. The only way you will know for definate is if you give it a go.

5. Donut76

Donut76 PetForums VIP

We use FIND as a way for Angel to sniff things out ... Started by hiding things in the house like toys & treats ... She is only off lead on the outdoor tennis courts as its fully enclosed but at least its something .. Today she found a conker a was hilariously funny watching her roll it & chase it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice