Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Off colour puss??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cloudygirl, May 4, 2011.

1. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

This morning Bobbins went to the loo and after he was dragging his bum across the floor a bit which he doesn't normally do.

He's eaten fine, and been to the loo tonight (which is usual for him), poos all fine and healthy completely normal but he doesn't seem quite right in himself. He's swishing his tail a bit which he never does and he's being even more affectionate towards me than usual.

He's still being playful but seems less naughty than usual. For instance he's only clawed the curtains once tonight and when I cooked he normally jumps on the sides and tries to eat my food but he just sat and watched.

Could there be something wrong with him or am I just being paranoid. I can't exactly ring the vets and say help my cat is being less naughty than normal can I. He's generally in brilliant health can eat any food you give him etc.

Do I have excessive paranoia?!

2. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

How old is Bobbins? Is he neutered?
    The dragging his bum across the floor automatically makes two things spring to mind, worms or impacted anal glands. I'd take him down to the vets for a check up! He could also have a urinary tract infection which might mean that he is uncomfortable, as would the anal glands, and he may be acting out because of the discomfort?

Ems xx

lorilu and dougal22 like this.
  3. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

How is he this morning hun?

4. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Oh and one more thing - there is nothing called excessive paranoia when it comes to caring for your cats! :D

5. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

he seemed a bit needy this morning but tonight he's totally normal and making up for lost time in respect of naughtiness. I will take him to the vets if I see the bum dragging thing again though he's not done it today or last night, if I'd seen it I would have taken him straight down. They've both been malting a lot so I am wondering if he's having trouble passing some hair or something. I did buy them some hairball paste stuff last week and they've been having that so am wondering if it might be related.

6. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

They don't have to do it too often for it to still needing looking at by a vet. The first time Sooty was scooting all over the floor several times, but the second time his glands needed seeing to he didn't. I'd take him anyway, just to make sure. Both worms and impacted anal glands would need to be resolved, I wouldn't really rely on the stuff you can buy from the shops either, I'd get a worm treatment from the vet :)

xx

7. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

My long haired cat does it very occasionally when he gets a bit of poo stuck around his bum end. Hopefully he's fine just keep an eye on it like you said :)

8. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

I rang the vets in the end i'm sure they get sick of me phoning. They didn't seem to think I needed to bring him in because they've both been recently wormed and they are indoor but said bring him in if he does the bum dragging again.

9. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

If he has recently been wormed, and does it again, it could either be an indicatin of impacted anal glands or urinary tract infection, both which are important to see to. Make sure you keep an eye on the litte boy! :D

10. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

today he's back to being my cutie mccutieson :) will keep a close eye on him.

Attached Files:

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

He is a handsome boy! :) Give him a big snug for me! I need cat snugs! xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice