Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Odd walk with Ebony...anyone know what could be going on

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ebonyblack, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ebonyblack

ebonyblack PetForums Senior

Ebony normally does two or three pees on an hour's walk/run around/play but today she was swatting all over the place doing little wees...like every five minutes....is it something to do with the cold? The temperature here has dropped massively over night...could she be ?scent marking as she's doing it when she's sniffing. She wasn't doing it yesterday only today.

Also another thing which *is* quite common on her walks...is that when we're 5 minutes away from home she starts going crazy, biting at her lead nipping at me and being extra? playful. Anyone else found this with their pups? is it that she's overtired? doesn't want the walk to end kinda thing?

She's five months old.

Cheers for any input...I'm intrigued

2. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

I'm no expert, but I think odd behaviours with waterworks could indicate an infection? Just a thought :)

3. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

Sounds like she might be scent marking. ;)

4. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

My Millie will pee every 2 mins if I let her :rolleyes: She definately scent marks.

She has a longer 'pee pee' (Ie one she needs) then throughout the walk will sniff around and pee. Sometimes we stand and laugh at her as only 1 ickle drop comes out! :D Hubby tells her 'your out of pee now, c'mon'! lol

So yep females defaintely scent mark.

Millie also gets excited when we get near home - She has learnt she has breakfast after morning walkies so knows there goodies in lie in the magic refilling food bowl - hence the excitement :thumbup:

5. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Do girls do that? I thought it was just boys :eek: ha ha

6. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

^^^^ Yes, they do.
    Sleeping_Lion's Indie also cocks a leg and she's not got any equipment. :lol:

7. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

Lucky also does little pees everywhere when on a walk, I put it down to scent marking too. She has done this since she was about 8 months old

8. ebonyblack

Yeah, but I'm hoping that this isnt the case as she saves her big wees up for outside. Will keep an eye on it :)

9. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Piper started doing this a few weeks before she came into season, and now every 6 months or so (she has been neutered). could it be that??

10. ebonyblack

Yes, You've just described Ebony's behaviour down to a T. Do you think the frost amplifying other scents? as she's taken to rolling around on the grass as well.

#10 ebonyblack, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  11. ebonyblack

:eek: At 5 months?? Can they have their seasons that early....if so my little baby is growing up :cryin:

12. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I would get it checked out personally, especially as it has come on quite suddenly.

13. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Piper was about 6.5/7 months when she had her first (and only) season. I think it can depend on the dog but i dont think 6 months is unheard of. but she's my first dog so i dont know!

14. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

Yup, Luna does it. She's been known to cock her leg too!!

15. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

Ern does this...... after morning and night walks he bumscuffs round the room as soon as we get in.... then runs to the cupboard where 'dinner' is kept.

its a very exciting time for him..... takes after his mum hahaha

16. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

Lol was just 6 months when she had her 1st season

17. ebonyblack

Oh No, she's now doing it indoors...think I'll walk up to the vets with her tomorrow :( C*ap

Do pups scent mark indoors?

18. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

If she's doing it indoors it's probably a UTI - easy to clear up normally though so don't worry too much. Just make sure puddles are cleaned up with special cleaner :) x

19. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Dissolve some biological washing powder to help clean up any accidents indoors.

My understanding is that smaller breeds can come in to season the first time round, that bit earlier than larger breeds, so showing signs at around five months of age isn't that out of the ordinary, would be worth getting her checked out in any case to discount any infection, if you're not sure.

Tau is just starting to come into season, and she is starting to scent mark now, leaving more messages to *advertise*, once she's actually in season she'll be confined for her own good, and to stop dogs from following the open invitations. She'll be whisked up to Scotland in any case to see the stud dog, hopefully.

And yes, Indie does cock her leg, more often than squatting tbh, even a full leg cock up a tree trunk isn't that uncommon for her :eek:

20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If she is coming into season, you will notice she needs to pee more often, as well as scent marking (which my 2 girls do day in, day out, even the spayed one). That could account for the pee in the house - but so would a UTI, so a trip to the vet....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice