Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Odd thing to do

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Returning to the original question of the thread - if you want to control any animal, you do it by attaching something to the most sensitive part of the animal that you can reasonably get at - think also about a bull being led by a ring through its sensitive nose, or a horse with a steel bit in it's mouth. Putting a collar round a dog's neck is the obvious place to put something to control it - it's likely to stay there, not come off. Slaves were also collared.
    I don't like to control my dog by the neck. She wears a collar for ID purposes, but her lead is attached to a comfy fleece-lined harness.

2. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

I have to say your little white dog is just gorgeous!! Well they both are :D

As for collars I will not be making mine wear one all the time, only to get used to it then just for walks!!

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Those collars are to tell the pups apart I believe.

4. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

apart from what ,ok i've said this to my friends and they give me weird looks ,and i can't quite explan it ,the bitch belongs to us ,we decided to breed it ,the puppies are then born we lable them with collars ,to tell them apart? ready for new owners ? when do dogs ever belong to themselves ? ok i've had a few glasses of wine but what rights does the poor mother have ,shes concieved them ,birthed them ,then there ours ,oh lets take pictures while there still giving birth ,advertise them for sale ,within 24 hours .
    ok sorry this post probably doesnt make sence but i always think planet of the apes and how humans where treated

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I see what you mean but people decide to breed them for the reason of bettering the breed/people want the pups/whatever so they put different collars on to tell the sexes and so people can choose what pup they want.

If I've got this wrong I'm sure they'll shoot me down :p

6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Back to the original question - I supose it's the easiest way to capture and control any animal.

As to do you leave collars on - yes I do If I take them off mine whine and go looking for them, they are so used to wearing them. Also if they ever got out it's the quickest way to get them back.
    I found a gorgeous old springer a couple of months ago late Sunday afternoon. The vet's were closed I got the answer phone for the dog warden. I spent 3 hours going door to door looking for her owner who was frantically looking as well, we eventually bumped into each other and she was safely returned home - the grandkid had not shut the gate properly, however if she'd had a collar I'd of had her home in 1 minute.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't leave collars on my two. They're only on when we go out.

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

My 2 only ever have a collar on when i take them out.:D:D

9. borderer

borderer Guest

no.........................................

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

no more odd than people sticking metal objests through thier skin in the most ridiculous places.

at least a collar is a safety thing and can look smart and serves a purpose.

11. rona

rona Guest

Thank you Bordie for your knowledgeable and indepth answer to my question :lol::lol:

12. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Although my dogs wear collars, they are not used for walking... the harnesses are worn when out walking...:)

13. borderer

borderer Guest

ya welcome silly question anyway:smilewinkgrin:

14. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I think it is only an offence when the dog is found alone without an ID tag and the owners have been tracked down, but hey what do i know? :eek:
    Our gundogs can't wear collars, as everytime they go out they are hunting, and it is usually in thick brush or bracken, the dogs collar could be caught on it and strangle the dog to death, it has been known through out the gundog world. So we never ever put collars on them. As for Bess she has a black collar with Id tag on and i only put it on her if we are somewhere she doesn't know, e.g. one of dads country shows, if she got loose and ran off (which is highly unlikely.) then i know for sure i could find her because of her ID tag.
    But when we are at home, and usually stays by my side, because she has already explored everything! Or just trots home.
    Chester doesn't as he is never off lead, he is deaf so if he ran in the opposite direction no amount of shouting would lead him back! :p :D

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive pondered this myself. Why chose a collar? Why not a harness, why not a headcollar?

Maybe it was to do with ease and cost. Less material used, and easy to take on and off. Plus about control and manipulation. Its easier to dominate something through fear and pain.

Reminds me of that conversation we (I) had about rabbit hutches. Who decided to take a social, active creature, and stick it in solitary confinement?

Who looked at a banana and though, "if we peel that, we can eat whats inside"?

16. Dundee

Dundee Banned

No. Mine don't wear collars anyway, but I wouldn't leave them at home with them on. Had a nasty experience years ago when a young puppy caught their jaw in the collar of an older dog. Both were fine, but wouldn't risk it now.

Working dogs (including gundogs) are excempt from the 'must wear a collar and ID law'

17. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

Yes mine wear collars but not in the house.

18. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Mine wear collars and all but Buster and Max are walked on them. Buster in a halti and Max in a service dog harness they both wear collars as well obviously. I've never choked them using the collars and I've never had any problems with them. They wear them in the house only because they actually don't like it and go get the collars and bring them to us to put them on when they're not wearing them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice