Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Odd rash on back above tail

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by crazycatman1983, Jan 27, 2018.

1. crazycatman1983

crazycatman1983 PetForums Newbie

Our blind cat has developed an odd rash on his back just above his tail. I say rash - I think it's a rash, but I'm not sure. I've never seen anything like it before. I've made a vet's appointment for next week, but just wondering if anyone can reassure me that's it not serious or even tell me what it might be?

It doesn't seem to be bothering him - I only noticed it because it felt rough when you stroke him. He doesn't seem to be scratching it, and it doesn't seem to be causing him any discomfort.

He has spot on treatment for fleas every month, but I've checked anyway for fleas and didn't see any. And when I used a flea comb, I found the dried rashy skin basically combed out. It's pretty much all gone now, and his skin feels much better. But I'm still worried.

I've attached some photos of it on his skin, and then once it combed out. It definitely looks like some sort of rash to me, but does anyone have any ideas? :(

Attached Files:

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I think this is a flea allergy. I know you have used spot on but it might not be working. The fleas might have gone but I still think this is an allergy from flea bites. Looks the same as what one of my cats had years ago.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Look up stud tail. That would be my guess.

4. crazycatman1983

Thank you - I do always wonder with the spot on, as is a long haired cat and it can be hard to get the spot on directly onto the skin (unlike our other short haired ginger, where it's far easier). I'll look at other ways to treat the fleas. Assuming they're dealt with (or are gone already), does it just get better by itself or does it need treatment?

Thanks - interesting. My cat is neutered though, and what I've read online implies that neutering is supposed to stop it. Is that correct? It does match the symptoms and description though.

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Neutered cats can get stud tail and the stuff in a spot-on spreads from where it's applied through the coat.

Personally I go with flea allergy, but would pop along to my vet.

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

No it will not go on it's own. The vet will give your cat something and it will soon clear up.

7. crazycatman1983

Thanks everyone! Will keep the vet's appointment and hopefully get it sorted!

jill3 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice