Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Odd Ammonia Cycle

Discussion in 'Tropical Aquarium Advice' started by Foxmallow, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Foxmallow

Foxmallow PetForums Newbie

Hi, new fish keeper here.

I set up a tank two weeks ago, and I was waiting on some plants before I added fish as I was unable to find suitable ammonia to cycle it.
    However, last week when I finally found the plants I wanted and put them in I had an ammonia spike (4ppm).
    I have no idea what caused it (I think it might have been the pot the plant was transported in, as my gravel isn't deep enough for me to plant it fully and it kept floating off so I had to put it back in its pot.
    Before that I had 0.25 ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and between 5-10 ppm Nitrates.
    I am now at 4 ppm Ammonia (it did fluctuate a little but it hasn't dropped yet), 0.25 Nitrites and 20-40 Nitrates.
    It doesn't seem to be following the nitrogen cycle in the way I understood it so I am not sure whether I should wait it out or whether a water change will help.
    I do have bio balls in the filter.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

That does seem odd. Dead and decaying plant matter can produce ammonia, but I wouldn't expect such a big spike so quickly. Have you put anything else in there at all, such as ferts or special substrate for the plants? What are you using to test?

3. Foxmallow

I had put some Love Fish liquid fertiliser in but I assumed it wouldn't cause something like that because its for use with planted aquariums. I just have gravel, which had been in the tank a week before I added this plant and I had tested the water already and it wasn't showing anything (0.25 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5-10 Nitrates).
    I'm testing with the API Liquid Master Test Kit.

4. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

The ferts shouldn't contain ammonia, but it might be worth testing by putting a few drops of ferts in a cup of tap water, then doing an ammonia test on this - just to rule it out.

5. Foxmallow

Good idea :)
    Do you think I should do a partial water change as well to help it go down or is it best to let the bio balls do their thing?

6. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Since you're doing a fishless cycle anyway, I'd be inclined to leave it and let the cycle get started :) 4ppm is the amount you'd dose if you were adding ammonia anyway. If you know anyone with an established tank, you can speed things up by asking them for a small piece of their filter media to place in your own filter, or, failing that, a squeeze of water from one of their filter sponges.

You'll still need an ammonia source to top it up once it starts to drop.

7. Foxmallow

Okay, thanks for the help :)
    I was thinking about doing a water change because the surface of the water looks pretty gross, almost looks like there is dust floating around on the top. When I put more bio balls in the filter some slimy stuff came off the wire too.
    Unfortunately I don't know anyone in my area with an established tank :(

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice