Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OCD and hip dysplasia

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MarnieH, May 2, 2011.

1. MarnieH

MarnieH PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum but my 6mth choc lab puppy has just been diagnosed with OCD in her shoulders and hip dysplasia. She has been commenced on a course of Cartrophen injections and we've been told no exercise except max. 5mins on lead per day for now. Anyone got experience or advise for me on treatment options and outcomes? We want her to enjoy being a puppy and not be continually restrained.

2. donnas1977

donnas1977 PetForums Senior

Morning

My spaniel was diagnosed with hip dysplasia nearly 3 yrs ago. We tried various treatments and she ended up on metacalm and cosequin ds every day. So far shes lead a normal life

3. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Hey, my springer pup was diagnosed at 9 months and hasn't been off lead since. We're waiting til he's skeletally mature, then more x rays, then we'll see.

Do read the diary of a hip replacement and all the other dysplasia threads on here. They're all very helpful. You can help support the cartilage by giving the pup supplements (cosaquin or seraquin, turmeric, green lipped mussel extract) but too little exercise is worse than a bit much: the muscle round the joint needs to build to support the hip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice