Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Occasional Litter Tray?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cbrookman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

For years my sister has had 2 rescue cats from the RSPCA who she has long since lost interest in:( and they are mainly living outdoors with access to her garage via a lockable cat flap. She told me yestarday that she "lost it" with the one and rubbed her face in her mess :(because the cat has started to poo regularly in the daytime in the garage. When I asked more in an attempt to help the poor cat she told me that at night she keeps both cats in the garage with the cat flap locked and with access to a litter tray (she keeps them in as she is worried about them getting run over and fighting with other cats). In the daytime she unlocks the cat flap and covers the litter tray.
    As a dog rather than cat person was I correct in telling her that the cat is getting mixed messages about where to do her business? Is it possible to only use a litter tray for part of the day and expect the poor cat to know where to relieve herself depending on the time of day:confused: My sister is certainly not an animal lover but I would like to help for the sake of the poor old cat:(

2. CatsofAvalon

CatsofAvalon PetForums Junior

The cats still belong to the RSPCA. They could take them back if they knew what was going on? ;)

3. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Thanks for that helpful advice but as my sister has owned both of them for around 14 years I can't see me suggesting that to her. Besides which many cats are kept quite happily as feral cats on farms with access to food water and shelter with the blessing of many rescue groups. She provides food, water, shelter, worming medication, flea prevention and any medical treatments as necessary but they are not kept as house cats. They are shown affection and are friendly enough but are just not allowed in her house (unlike me she is VERY house proud).Other than the problems she has only recently been experiencing with one of the cats I would say they have a fair existance compared with many animals. Any suggestions other than rehoming?

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

So these poor cats are living in the garage or outdoors? :nonod::nonod:
    You are quite right - the cat doesn't understand what time of day it is. It knows that the garage is where it goes to the toilet and if it can't find its litter tray it will go anywhere. Rubbing the poor things nose in it will only make it more scared and confused.
    Please tell your sister that she needs to leave the litter tray accessible for them both at all times. Something outside may have frightened the one that has been toileting in the garage, making it want the security of the litter tray in there.

5. CatsofAvalon

CatsofAvalon PetForums Junior

I think that if it is just this single issue, you have every chance of taking it up successfully with your sister. Try giving her book on litter training cats. I know that you are aware that rubbing their face in faeces is as offensive to them as it would be to her and it is also counterproductive, but how to tell her is something between sisters!
    Best of luck.

6. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Quite right in fact she herself told me that the action she took had not worked and the poor cat had made a mess since :( She bought the cats years ago when her children were younger and at home but the children have now left home and as she is not short of money her home has become her "baby" - totally spotless with no room for cats:( TBH I think she will be glad when they die.
    I told her to go back to square one with the litter training and to either have the tray there all the time or not at all. She probably won't tell me if she is physical towards the cat again as she knows I am an animal lover but if I hear of it I will tell her to ask for advice from the RSPCA ;) A few months ago I noticed that the same cat was REALLY painfully thin and I told her it looked like she had worms. She assured me that she regularly wormed them with an application to the back of the neck which also prevents fleas? I said I was surprised that something placed on the neck could treat worms. She ignored my advice and several weeks later the cat began vomitting and passing worms. She took it to the vet and was given some "proper" worming tablets. Amazed that they are allowed to sell such ineffective things over the counter that in this case lead to months of suffering for this poor cat:mad:

7. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Sorry if I missed it but how many litter trays are there?

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I will try to be polite but your posts have made me really angry. NOT at you might I add but at the callous behaviour of your sister.

These cats are getting older and are now at an age where they want a quiet life and some creature comforts. Instead they get booted out of the home they have lived in for years because they might shed some hair on the carpet!!!! :incazzato: :incazzato:

I'm afraid your sister needs a boot in the bottom. If she really doesn't want the cats and is probably looking forward to the day they die (btw, that could easily be another 10 yrs!!!!) then she would be better to return them to the RSPCA where they stand a chance of being homed to someone who will actually give a damn about them.

Providing basic food and medical needs is simply not enough. How would she feel if her own kids do this to her when she is older.

I do not wish to be offensive about your sister but my concern here is about the cats and I really don't give a monkeys about humans who treat animals in this manner. :angry:

9. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Totally agree with you but she has always been as hard as nails and what hasn't helped is her marrying a man from a totally different cultural background who sees animals as dirty and unclean. The worms and messing in the garage has probably reinforced his opinion on animals. I would imagine he was instrumental in getting the cats banished from the house as I know that he will not even touch my dogs and they visit my home infrequently as my sister said some years ago they don't want dog hair in their food and all dogs should be kept on leads and muzzled and other such gems! Would you report your own sister to the RSPCA anonymously? It is a thought but I am sure they would say that as basic living requirements are being met there is nothing they will do:confused:

10. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Just one for 2 cats. Will getting an extra one help?

11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Not if your sister moves it or covers it during the day. Cats are creatures of routine and don't do well with having that changed. :(

12. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Trouble is that compared to the way animals are treated in my brother- in -law's culture these animals are living in the lap of luxury in his eyes:(
    Also my sister does not regard animals as being worhty of the same degree of care and emotional investment as humans:(

13. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

With the deepest of regret I probably would. :( However, I am sure you are right in what they would say.

It would be better for all if you could talk your sister into handing them back voluntarily.

14. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Sad to say I think you may be fighting a losing battle there :( Try to get her to leave at least one litter tray available for the cats all day. I can't see why that would be a problem for her as she would have to clean it after it being used at night.
    I think you are probably right regarding the RSPCA too. The cats have food and shelter as much as many farm cats get.

15. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Sorry to say that the RSPCA will not take them back although they may decide to PTS.

Their policy changed recently, apparently.

I know a lady who runs a sanctuary and has two older cats she took in because the owner could no longer keep them and although they were rehomed from the RSPCA she was told they would not take them back.

As long as the cats have water available and are fed, the RSPCA will take no action either.

Poor cats need rehoming

16. Izzie

Izzie PetForums Senior

One of my work colleagues did something similar with her cats. She just had a baby and now the cats are not allowed in the house at all any more because she says that they cry at night and wake the baby. They were never allowed in the house during the day in any case. They installed a catflap in the garage. They leave food down, but other than that pay no attention to the cats.

She didn't seem too impressed with me when I suggested she take them back to the shelter she got them from (she'd only had them 2 years). I did speak to the shelter on a no names basis, and they said they would not intervene if the cats had shelter and food and were healthy.

17. porps

porps Swollen Member

all 4 of my friends cats are house cats... They get let out into the garden in the morning and at that point he provides them with a litter tray, and they all use it pretty much straight away then he cleans it all up and puts it away. (he also has a litter tray indoors which they only use for peeing in)
    So it is possible for cats to learn to use a litter tray as and when it's put out for them even though it's not there all the time... But wether it is possible to REtrain a cat to do that i couldnt say. his have been brought up with that ROUTINE so it's no problem for them to stick to it.
    Whatever she decides it's going to take time to get them to adapt to a different routine, and rubbing their noses in it will only make things more difficult. Perhaps she should just leave the catflap open for them. Better than getting so irate that you rub a cats nose in poo.

18. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Totally agree with you, trouble is she has had other cats coming in the garage at night and spraying and fighting with her own cats. I honestly think they are just an inconvenience to her now. Feel so sorry for that little cat as she is soooo thin (worms - since treated) and has only one eye (fighting with another cat) so to physically punish her is disgraceful :(

19. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Wow how mad am I feeling right now??? Personally I would 'liberate' these cats and get them re-homed myself I can't stand the thought of animals being treated in this way. She lets them into the garage at night as she is worried that they will get hurt at night but probably wouldn't care too much if they went missing in my opinion.

20. notsure

notsure PetForums Senior

I have to agree that these cats deserve a better home than they have now - unless your sister comes to that conclusion, that's not going to happen. The best you can hope for atm is to convince her to leave the tray uncovered all the time (if she's concerned about smell or such suggest a hooded tray), she may be convinced if you point out that the alternative to an available tray is the situation she's in atm where she's going to have to keep cleaning the floor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice