Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Occasional fighting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by shrek_0, Jun 8, 2010.

1. shrek_0

shrek_0 PetForums Junior

I have 3 saint bernards all 14 months old and all males, 2 are litter mates that we have had from 8 weeks one joined us in April 2010. This one and one of the others have recently started fighting, its only happened twice and Im assuming its because the newest has now settled in an is now trying to decide where he is within the pack. The fights are quite aggressive and at 13 stone per dog very scary, however the never go for each others throats its always the face and the fights last no longer than 5-10 seconds. None have been neutered but the 2 litter mates are booked in to be done at the end of the month, the newest will possibly be used for stud depending on hip score results. 99.99% of the time they are absolutely fine, they all sleep in the same shed together over night, play fight together and get on extremely well. Ive not intervened A: because I feel it would be far to dangerous given their size and B: its over quite quickly. They do not need to be separated as they spend all day night together and there are no problems, only these2 mini incidents. Im wondering if there is anything more I need to do?

2. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

What is it that has sparked the fights and how do they differ from the play fighting?

3. shrek_0

shrek_0 PetForums Junior

Nothing that I can see is sparking it,but obviously something is,both occasions I have been sat on the sofa with them sat infront of me fussing them,but then this is numerous times a day occurance as well,so Im pretty sure its not me or it would happen every single time, so numerous times per day. one or 2 of these 5-10 second fights happened about 3 weeks ago and the other was today. Its not play fighting because they all do that alot and its actually fab to watch as they all get on so well,one will be on the floor with the other 2 wrestling him,then another one will be down etc, and they run round together etc etc, growling and barking but all that is completely fine they are absolutely just wrestling/playing. The 'proper' fights that have occurred have been between one of the litter mates (who I feel is/was the dominant one,and the one we've had since April, I feel,as I said in last post, the newer one has begun to settle in and is now determining where he ranks, and again the fights do not last at all long,literally about 5 seconds,they are up on their back legs and going for faces not throats,if they were going to do damage they absolutely would have done it, however it is not play fighting. I think Im addressing it corretly by not intervening and chucking water over them, and by having the 2 litter mates neutered at the end of June,Im wondering if there is more I could do, of myself and my husband I am their pack leader so to speak, they are all obiedient,they have always attended classes indivudually with me, I do 90% of the walking and Im the one that feeds them. However is this not disrespectful to me? Or is it simply establishing the leader due to the newish arrival?

4. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Without seeing it nobody could guive a definitive answer but I am sure that having the dogs snipped won't cause it to get any worse.

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. They are challenging each other, not you. So I wouldn't worry too much. The neutering is a great idea as all those hormones kicking around are not good!

I think ur doing exactly the right thing in not getting invloved.

I would not worry too much as firstly u don't have fighting breeds (although they r big!), secondly they don't have behavioural problems and thirdly they are all the same size.

Just keep an eye on the triggers. There has to be a leader within the doggy pack. But with 3 un-neutered males, you will prob have this problem.

I'm sure neutering will help x

6. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

It's probs becuz they are litter mates and one needs to establish authority over the other.

7. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

It's not the littermates it is one of the brothers and the non-littermate dog that are wrestling. The non fighting littermate already knows who the guv is between him and his brother bythe sounds of it.

8. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

mebbe they just need to sort out that authority too?

*is not much help*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice