Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Occasional cough after waking up and running

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Noralu, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Noralu

Noralu PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Our relatively young dog ~1 - 1.5yr (~45 lb) is showing some occasional coughing, usually in the morning or after waking up from a nap and running around. We took a video and went to the vet with it because she doesn't do it all the time. They said it does not look like something heart related and that we should keep an eye on it for the next month. They also said to check her gums now and then when she coughs to see if they are grey-blue-ish instead of pink (that would hint to a problem with the heart). Her gums are always pink. We got some pills to give her before going to sleep in the evening and I feel like they improved it a little bit but she still does it from time to time and I know a cough is usually never harmless for dogs so I'm still worried. Did anyone experience something similar before?

Thanks!
    Nora

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

How long has your bitch been coughing?

3. Noralu

Noralu PetForums Newbie

Its hard to say since it doesnt happen every day. Or maybe I didn't notice every day. Sometimes its just a single "heh" she is doing. I would say about 1-2 months.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Has your vet definitely ruled out an upper respiratory tract infection? The reason I asked the length of time is that it sounds like kennel cough, which is usually when they stir after sleeping or when they start running about. It can just be a single cough and it can also go on for several weeks in some cases.

5. Noralu

Noralu PetForums Newbie

That was my first guess too but she had her Bordetella vaccination in September when she came to the shelter and I think that's the reason why the vet dismissed it as well. Not sure how likely it is for dogs to get it despite the vaccination.

6. mollypip

mollypip PetForums Senior

Acid reflux causes coughing in dogs, my collie suffers from it and will often cough/hack upon waking or when she's lying down and just about to fall asleep. She will also cough if she's been vigorously running around especially if its soon after eating or drinking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice