Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Obsessive Humping!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ellenlouisepascoe, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Morning Everyone!

So the last couple of days my Cavalier King Charles will NOT stop humping my 17 week old Husky.

It's morning , noon and night. The husky thinks the Cav is playing so starts biting on his ears etc which obviously then leads to handbags at the ready. I've been separating them and putting the pup out of the way but I don't want that to be the solution, because as soon as he's reintroduced it starts again!

I don't know whether he's picked up the scent of a bitch or can sense the pups high testosterone but he's utterly obsessed even if the pup is just laid quiet he'll go over and mount his head. :sosp:

What do I do?! I've always had bitches so never had this problem before. Would it be worth buying some bitch spray ?

2. ellenlouisepascoe

Aaaaaanyone?

3. tanglewood3

tanglewood3 PetForums Member

How old is the dog?
    Is he neutered?
    If you really don't want him neutered, I think there's a jab the vet can give him which lasts a few months and you can see what the difference is.

Whether he's neutered or not, it is a behaviour issue. you need to interrupt the behaviour the second it starts. Maybe put him out of the room for a short time. He'll soon get the message.
    If you don't stop it, he may teach your dog to react to any dog that sniffs his bottom.
    If you are in the room with them, pop his lead on and loop it under the chair next to you. It's a good way to teach them to settle.

You wouldn't let your husband go up to every woman he sees, making suggestive remarks, so don't let your dog. :)

4. ellenlouisepascoe

That is what we've been doing we're on day 5 of catching him before he does it, putting him either on the lead or out of the room but the second they are introduced he's at it again , he is utterly rampant he's never done this before. We know he's about to do it as we hear his claws tap dancing on the wood floor :lol:

The humper is 9 years old not neutered I would prefer him neutered just don't want to put him under any unnecessary strain he's tiny even for his breed ( Cav king charles)

The pup is 17 weeks old and MALE! :eek: obviously not neutered yet but will be once he's old enough.

With it only just starting is what made me think he can smell a bitch's scent and just humps the first dog he spots :confused:

5. leashedForLife

it's equally possible that the pup has an undetected, possibly subclinical UTI, & the odor is making the elder dog
    obsess over humping him, as it mimics components of an estrous bitch.

i'd ask Ur vet if there's any possibility, & a cultured sample of the pup's urine might be needed, if he has
    an occult subclinical or chronic infection.

It's also possibly the pup's AGE: he's intact & verging on 5-MO, his testosterone will be rising rapidly,
    as he'll be in mid-puberty at 6-MO [24-WO], & then he'll be scaling the heights between 7-MO & 9-MO
    to the peak-production of his lifetime: at 9 to 10-MO, a young male dog has 5 to 7 times
    the circulating testosterone of an adult, intact male that's past 12 to 15-MO... that's how long the peak phase
    takes, to come "back down" to normal adult-male levels.

Other dogs 'punish' pubertal pups & particularly super-male teenagers, who reek of testosterone.
    The pup's approaching puberty may have set off this humping display, it can be stress, bossiness,
    or just a quirky expression of sexual arousal around another intact-dog of either sex.

per desexing the older dog, i'd ASK HIS VET if there is any reason he cannot be desexed safely -
    desex isn't a lengthy op in males, only in females. If there is no reason to worry excessively about GA,
    i'd just get it done; if GA is a concern, then possibly sedation plus a local anaesthetic would be an acceptable
    alternative that's both safer, & also prevents pain during surgery.

IMO there's every possibility that he can be safely desexed the usual way - U don't mention night coughing,
    a frequent symptom of cardiac insufficiency, nor do U mention any other health problems; SIZE is not
    a big concern alone --- any healthy pup that's over 2# weight [slightly less than 1 kg] can be safely snipped,
    & surely an adult CKCS weighs more than 2# / 1kg, even if he's small for the breed?

Is he F-A-T? Obesity is more of a concern than is age, in a normally healthy dog, altho fat PLUS elderly
    is obviously way-worse than slim or plump, PLUS elderly.

6. ellenlouisepascoe

I think the only problem we have with him from his last visit to the vets was his appalling teeth, from his previous home feeding him tons of crap and human foods.

I know problem with teeth can sometimes cause problems with hearts which makes me worry. He was given a full clean bill of health last time he visited ( first time he visited the vet since puppyhood! ) we are currently trying to clear as much tartar from his teeth as we can (plaque off , raw meaty bones) and take him back in for another assessment. He's perfect weight, he was underweight when we took him on.

The pup is at the vets on Saturday I'll take a urine sample along with me, as well as the CKCS :)

7. leashedForLife

Excellent! :thumbup:

BTW, 'perfect wt' means easily-felt ribs with the last 2 to 3 just visible, the spine is smooth & no spinal-processes
    can be seen ['dragon back'], the shoulder layback is readily visible, not blurred by a layer of fat, the neck tapers
    nicely to the skull, & there's a distinctly visible waist seen from above at the junction of legs & loin, plus when seen
    from the side AT THE DOG'S LEVEL, there's a definite tuck-up from ribs slanting to abdomen - s/he's not a pipe,
    but has a waist from the side & from above, & the shoulders are the widest point of the body - narrowing to the ribs,
    then tapering to a waist, & the hips are narrower than the shoulders seen from above.
    catching a sterile sample at home is extremely difficult - the vet may need to take an occult sample, in order
    to culture it. Just as a heads' up, there's a multiply-resistant UTI microbe now, gaining traction worldwide;
    be sure the culprit is ID'd before the vet throws a generic antibiotic at it, if something IS present. ;)

8. ellenlouisepascoe

Well we can't "see" ribs because he is a furry critter :D but the last time we visited the vet he felt his ribs etc and calculated his weight as pretty much perfect, he's less than the average of a CKCS but he's small anyways, the vet thought he was a puppy when we first brought him in.

9. leashedForLife

if the ribs are not visible, then be sure his ribs are easily palpable - light pressure with fingertips should
    "find" all the ribs, & the last 2 to 3 should require no real pressure, to find/ feel them under the coat & muscle.

Can U see a waist from above?
    Can U see a tuck-up rise from his last rib to his legs / the belly?

Does his neck taper, seen from behind? It shouldn't be a cylinder, or even close to that shape.

Can U see the angle of his shoulder blade, from the point at the side of his chest, above & in front of
    his foreleg, & running upward to his withers?

Is his spine smoothly covered, but the 'processes' can be felt with only moderate pressure?

Does that make sense? I hope so - it's hard to describe. :eek: Exercise is important, as it's not just 'how much fat'
    but "how much muscle" the individual has, in proportion to fat - the BMI / ratio.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice