Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Obsession with other dogs, barking and pulling

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lauren Harford, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Lauren Harford

Lauren Harford PetForums Newbie

I have just had a 8 month old miniature schnauzer come to live with me. She’s a lovely dog, very loving. Before she was mostly s garden dog (not many leaf walks) and lived with other dogs. We have been taking her lots of places with us and started walks on the lead. Have started some clicker training with her and she is doing it so well until she see’s another dog. When she see’s another dog she barks intensely and pulls, Its hard to break the barking even when the dog is out of sight. I want to try and change this behaviour early on and was wondering what is the best method of doing this? I want to do it right from the start to give her the best chance of success. Thank you

2. Peggypegs

Peggypegs PetForums Member

Luckily our mini grew out of this very quickly, although it does seem to be a problem with lots of minis as we often hear them out on walks before we see them due to the distinctive high pitched bark. We worked on it by getting her attention before she saw the other dog and rewarding that so she was already focusing on us before she started getting excited. We also went on walks where there was lots of space between us and other dogs and got her to do hand touches or playing with a tug toy to engage her while she walked past them at a distance. We also didn't let her greet that many dogs while she was doing this and got her walk past them so didn't get into the pattern of getting excited and expecting to greet others. Hope this helps.

3. Lauren Harford

Lauren Harford PetForums Newbie

Thank you , I will keep on trying!!

Peggypegs likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice