Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Obsession with bread!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by chloe1975, Nov 28, 2015.

1. chloe1975

chloe1975 Maine Coon slave :)

Okay now this is a weird one but does anyone have a cat obsessed with bread! And I mean obsessed! We have a grocery delivery each week and every time the bags are out on the living room floor within seconds custard has found the bag with the bread in it and ripped open the bag. Not just sliced bread either, fresh uncut, garlic bread any type of bread and he is straight for it! We now have to keep it in the fridge as he was opening the cupboards to get to it. He has been doing it for a few months now, none of the other cats do it.
    To add a bit of background he is an insulin dependent diabetic and is on a very low carb diet. I have googled it and the information seems to suggest it could be a lack of carbs which contradicts many people's views here about cat diets. But I have no explanation and am at a loss other than its a quirk but I suspect there must be a scientific explanation!
    So anyone else have a bread obsessed kitty???

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

As soon as I started reading I thought 'I bet this is about Custard'
    Paddy, the boy in my avatar and my original 'Sugar Kitty' was obsessed with bread too.....as well as broccoli and melon amongst other things. :)
    This was all way before his diabetes too.
    I soon learnt to keep bread in the fridge at all times.
    Funnily enough, now I think of it, his brother Murphy developed a keen nose for pastry and bread but only in his old age where he would hunt out any unguarded packages and chew on them. I remember buying a pack of pastries for a builder I had in.....Murph attacked the box and nibbled them all before I caught him.
    The builder still seemed to enjoy them though.:oops:

chillminx and chloe1975 like this.
  3. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I used to have a cat, Merlin, like that, you couldn't ever leave bread out & the bread bin had to be turned around & wedged against the wall otherwise he would break in & pig out! This was years ago & he was fed a crappy carb laden diet so I don't think it was a craving issue, he was just a sod! And he wasn't diabetic.

Rodney, my sugar cat, will (try) eat bread if it's left out, but then he will eat most things if they are left out :eek:

chloe1975 likes this.
  4. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

When we first had Dylan, ( ex stray ) he would steal bread if given the opportunity. We assumed it was because he'd previously learnt to forage. If I turned my back on a slice of bread it would be whisked away and taken under the bed to be consumed. He also ate a very large ( apple sized) hole out of a fruit cake which I'd stupidly left on the side to cool.:eek:

chillminx and chloe1975 like this.
  5. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat Friend

Little H is bread obsessed - he will walk off with the loaf in its packaging if he can!!!

chloe1975 likes this.
  6. chloe1975

chloe1975 Maine Coon slave :)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one then! It's just so weird lol. None of the other cats are remotely interested in it but he is totally obsessed. My daughter and I had cheese on toast earlier and he followed my daughter up the stairs with the plate meowing at her for it. It's just strange how he suddenly started though, he used to like cake, cheese and Pringles in his pre diabetes days but never bread! Oh well they all have their funny ways. None of the other are that bothered by human foods apart from chicken and cheese.

Matrod likes this.
  7. Sasha's Dad

Sasha's Dad PetForums Member

Sasha has a thing about boiled ham, I found that out when I made myself a sandwich. I left it on the chair arm while I went to get a drink, when I came back I was left with just the bread, she'd had it away with the ham. I don't encourage her to eat it due to it having a high salt content but when the little bandit steals it what can you do

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice