Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Obese cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sally sith, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Sally sith

Sally sith PetForums Newbie

DSC_0187.JPG I recently took in 6 days ago a cat from an elderly lady the cat is 5 years old but is obese I weighed her she's 1 stone 1 pound was only given dry food and is an indoor cat.

I'm currently feeding her sheba wet food 4 times a day only a small amount, no dry food but I'm stuck on what is the best brands of cat food to aid weight loss. She won't touch hills science plan for obesity or royal canin. Sheba is like felix junk food.

I'm searching for a good quality food any ideas would be great from people who have experience this with their cat and have got good results in weight loss. I am working on getting her more active she loves to play.

#1 Sally sith, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

Hello :)

I'm no expert but with a cat that overweight, I would feed her a decent amount (say 3 pouches a day) of wet food for a couple of weeks then weigh her again. If she has lost weight continue with the same amount, weighing each week.

When she stops losing, reduce the amount a little :) she needs to loose weight very slowly to be safe for her.

I think that with more play and no dry food, you will soon see results!

Any high protein foods from the happy Kitty company or zooplus would be suitable but I wouldn't worry too much about that for now, sheba and Felix are not that bad but if you can add some better quality foods in the future then that would be great :D anything grain free, with no added sugars is a good starting point. Animonda vom feinsten adult trays are liked here and are fairly low in fat.

Good luck, she is very pretty.

moggie14 and Sally sith like this.
  3. Greydrift

Greydrift PetForums Member

Have a search on cat obesity, or my user name, and you should find some recent threads on this subject. I've got to run, so this is a quick post.

We've been in the same situation with a rescue cat, and moved her onto good quality tinned cat food, weighed portions for SLOW weight loss. That bit is very, very important. You don't want hepatic lipidosis. After you've read similar threads that will direct you to Lisa Pierson's website, essential reading, plus other's advice.

That should get the ball rolling...

moggie14 and Sally sith like this.
  4. Sally sith

Thanks for your advice.

5. Sally sith

Yes I've been searching on the forum it seems alot of cat owners are experiencing the obesity problem. I've always had slim outdoor cats so this is a first but I'm aware of taking it slow due to the hepatic lipidosis overweight cats can get. I will search for your thread and the others person's you recommended. Thank you.

6. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I also agree with not cutting back drastically and would try around 3 pouches and see how that goes. She's probably still adjusting to the fact she has a new home, and it may unsettle her if she's left too hungry - you can always reduce the amount in the future if she isn't losing weight. Also, it's making sure she still gets sufficient nutrition and liquid inside her.

She's a lovely girl by the way

7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I think you might be best to work out a controlled diet with your vet. With the best will in the world, it isn't easy to reduce a cat's weight whilst maintaining everything a cat needs plus not having to worry about things like lipidosis. However, if you want to do it yourself, you could try Wainwrights Light wet food from Pets at Home or Integra Protect Obesity from Zooplus. She's a lovely girl.

8. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

hope all works out for wight loss. Shes a stunning cat.

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Lisa Pierson has a pretty comprehensive guide to safe weight loss on her site.
    I think most vets it get nurses will try and foist either Hills or Royal canin brands into you, including low cal dry food which is not a great idea IMO
    Buy a cheap set of digital baby scales from eBay to track the weight change accurately

chillminx likes this.
  10. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Certainly her weight loss needs to be slow (due to what's been mentioned), especially as she is settling in, and you don't want to upset her. Unfortunately, a lot of the wet cheaper cat foods do have added sugar and grain, where cats are obligatory carnivores. It can be hard to change a cats diet, though, especially when they're just settling in. It's often hard, as they'll often just eat certain brands, and can be finicky as hell!
    Some great advice here, good luck. And thank you for taking in a rescue cat and becoming her guardian x

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice