UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to train Arrow in obedience... I have never done it 'properly' before so I'm not sure what I need to teach him... I know things like sit, stay, down, heel off lead. I would like to join a class but because of work, I won't be able to... so, I will need to do it myself.

So, what are the first things I should teach him? And what are the things they need to do the first grade? Can you compete if you don't belong to a club?

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
I want to train Arrow in obedience... I have never done it 'properly' before so I'm not sure what I need to teach him... I know things like sit, stay, down, heel off lead. I would like to join a class but because of work, I won't be able to... so, I will need to do it myself.

So, what are the first things I should teach him? And what are the things they need to do the first grade? Can you compete if you don't belong to a club?
You do not need to belong to a club to compete in obedience, however you would benefit from belonging to a competition club to have access to top trainers or have 1:1s with trainers who know what the standard is and what the judge is looking for.

This site is useful

ObedienceUK

Has clubs, training events and the KC G regulations.

You ought to go and watch some comps, they are usually free to watch in order to understand the way things work.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do not need to belong to a club to compete in obedience, however you would benefit from belonging to a competition club to have access to top trainers or have 1:1s with trainers who know what the standard is and what the judge is looking for.

This site is useful

ObedienceUK

Has clubs, training events and the KC G regulations.

You ought to go and watch some comps, they are usually free to watch in order to understand the way things work.
Thanks SB, will have a look at the link after I have had a bath and watched Eastenders (I love Friday nights :D).

I would love to join a club but my shifts at work change so much, as do the days I work, that I would likely end up missing most of the classes (I usually work until 9pm, 10pm in the run up to christmas). It is one of the problems I had with agility this summer, but I will definitely get that sorted when Arrow is old enough but I really really want to do agility with him :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.