Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

O/T my poor little boy

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, Jul 23, 2009.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

he has severe diarrhea!!
    he is only 4 and has been through so many pairs of pants today and now has a very sore bottom.
    im unsure what to do for him as its running out of him.
    any suggestions?

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

a human child???? cant help u im afraid try feeding him hay?!

docs or pharmacy if u can get him in a bucket in the car

3. frags

frags PetForums VIP

lol @ hay!!!

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

hehe being more serious i think the docs would be good as hes so little, or plenty of fluids and no food

5. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Firstly you need some diorolite to get his salt balance on some sort of even keel, this will help him feel a little better straight away, its so easy for kids to loose essential salts when they ill like that. Next a trip to the docs always a good idea, when my kids were little my nan used to say, give them a black dog biscuit and that will cure it, well it did i have to say as the black dog biscuit had charcoal in it, not saying you should do this but its just one of those old wives things!

6. lady_r0gue

lady_r0gue PetForums Senior

(just to check, this IS a human child we're on about, right?!)
    Assuming it is, I'd say as long as he doesn't want to eat, don't make him - let him get rid of the bug or whatever it is. Plenty of water to replace his lost fluids, and a spoonful of honey or honeycomb a few times a day; as honey is pre-digested by bees it is very easily absorbed into the body, before it hits the stomach. This will give him the energy he needs to kick the yucks out of his system. If he won't take it try making him a cup of tea with honey.
    When he does eventually want to eat give him some chopped bananas (if he's hot you could freeze them for a little while in a food bag, a natural iced lolly treat) - bananas bind up poo very well** and a couple of digestive biscuits won't upset him too much - Don't worry tho he won't starve ;)
    Good luck, it's not fun having a kid with diarrhoea *empathy* xx

7. frags

frags PetForums VIP

thanks ladies
    yes a human child lol
    ive just read not to give plain water as it has no nutritional value and to add juice, which he has had all day.
    he is fine in himself only the case of tummy pains when he needs to go and the very sure bum, ive managed to put cream on that to his dis liking but i got there in the end.

if it pursist tomoro i will take docs in morning as emerg case.

8. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i was always led to believe that brandy or whisky solves most medical problems, i do know that brandy/gin is good for stomach upsets. just up to you weather you want your kid drinking. i used to have it as a child and it never did me any harm. :p

9. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Poor thing he has been through so much!

Deff get him some diorolyte to replace his lost salts as has already been mentioned and again as someone also said Honey will work wonders! Dont force him to eat anything infact its best to try keep him empty but keep up the fluids... what ever he will drink water, juice etc but def deff defffff get him so diorolyte!

10. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

For his bum . . . vasaline is often good for sore bums. Or of course, the stuff - don't know how to spell it - used for nappy rash - also good for sore bum. I have used these items on myself and they do work. Hope he's feeling better.

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sudocrem for the sore bits.

12. frags

frags PetForums VIP

thanks all for your help.
    while i was at work my hubby said he was still runny but this morning he seems better, no poo yet so im waiting to see if he has cleared up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice