Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

O Mother Mouse

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Dramaking89, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Dramaking89

Dramaking89 PetForums Newbie

My mouse had given birth. It was a 'surprise' thing meaning i got her back ( a single mouse) from the pet store and 2 weeks later out popped 13 healthy babies.

The babies have just reached their thirteen week. When should i seperate the boys? AND also, i noticed that she is getting fatter...not necessarily bigger, but rounder all round. Is it possible for a mouse to get pregnant without the presence of a male, simply by 'storing' sperm cells from the first mate? Or perhaps it is just a 'post-birth' thing.

Also, might there be any possibility that her young had impregnated her? I was under the impression mice only reach sexual maturity at age 4 weeks.

2. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

i always thought mice had to be separated by the 6 to 8 week mark???
    mice can give birth every 2 weeks im sure, a mouse can be feeding babys and give birth to more 2 ta 3 weeks later and be feeding 2 litters.

to tell the truth i think u need to separate all them babys now and hope none aint pregnant :eek:

3. MrsNik

MrsNik PetForums Member

Hate to tell you but I seperate my mice at 4.5-5 weeks....they can become pregnant at this stage...I usualy have my girls have their first mating at 12 weeks....Chances are you are going to have a LOT more babies on the way!! If you need a hand finding homes then give me a shout: pure_pink_seduction@hotmail.com

I am a friend of a lovely lady who runs a fantastic rescue center, not to mention the many mousey people I know! I could probably foster a few myself as well.

I have to say take out the boys NOW! Also is your cage/tank suitable as a nursery cage? Any wheels should be removed and make sure there is plenty of bedding and different places for the girls to have their babies. Must say I am suprised you dont have more babies by now as mice are only pregnant for three weeks. My guess is sheer luck!! Also mice can get pregnant literaly right after they have given birth!

EDIT: Also dont be shocked to find them merging their litters into bigger groups or even eating their own, or others, babies if there are too many for them to cope with! It is possible you will have some deformed babies if your mice have gotten pregnant by their brothers, or some very small babies which may not make it. I hope none of this is the case though and any babies born are healthy and happy.

4. Dramaking89

Dramaking89 PetForums Newbie

THanks a bunch! Her babies are still jsut three weeks old and there was never another male in the cage when i got her and she gave birth...so i'm hoping she's not coming out with more. I will email you though because finding a home for all those babies is proving to be tough! AND i am reluctant to give them to pet stores because i know for a fact that they feed the smaller ones to their snakes and what not which, in my opinion would just break my heart. Thanks a bunch for yoru advice.

5. Lillian

Lillian PetForums Newbie

Can they have a false pregancy

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

yes i heard they can get pregnant 10 hours after giving birth... and carry for 2 odd weeks???? so really thats every 2 odd weeks ya mice can ave babys :eek: sod that.

7. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I think there was a slight misunderstanding of the age of the new mice as in your original post it said the baby mice were 13 weeks old and not 3 weeks old, just a small typing error but it makes a vast difference to the advice given I just thought I would point this out so there would be no hurt feeling over a simple mistake :):)

8. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

oooo good pointing out vixs, i see that and gave it no thort.

9. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

awwww i love little mice,,,,,,have you got any pics,,,,,,,,:D:D

10. MrsNik

MrsNik PetForums Member

PHEW! Glad to hear the mice arent as old as 13 weeks!!! You would of had a lot of mice then lol. Hope you find wonderful homes for them!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice