Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

O/H is starting to dislike puppies!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nhamblin84, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

Hello All!

I have an awfull dilema at the moment and its very long winded so beware when reading :D

Other half said last night that the puppies are really starting to get him down! They are only 4 months old (today :D ) and not properly trained yet! We start puppy lessons next tuesday which im hoping will help! We have followed all the advice on toiletting etc and was getting better but they are still having accidents! i am taking them out every 15 mins but then they still go in the house for no reason! Max barks at anything and everything! whether its just to get attention or not i have no idea but its driving the o/h mad!!!!!

Im not sure what more i can do to improve things? they do have a lot of accidents which i always knew was going to be the way with two! they have days when they are angels and only toilet on their paper when we are out and not in their cage! but other days i have come home and they floor is covered!!!! :mad:

Max is also just jumping up constantly and 'digging' at our legs to get attention! We tell him no - this doesnt work so we just ignore him but he carries on!

Daisy is an angel until we are out walking and she just wants to run off :( no amount of treat shaking. whistle blowing. coaxing will make her listen! she is off when she sees another dog - im hoping that puppy training will help! she is really good at coming back all the other times apart from when she sees another dog!!!

:(:(:(

2. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Aren't puppies little darlings?lol

Himself is not a dog lover either and we have a 15 week old puppy.

The thing your oh needs to appreciate is that things take time and toilet accidents are bound to happen from time to time however, if your pups dont mess in their crate put them in there when you go out, this should eliminate the problem of coming home to find the floor covered in poop/wee. Just put them out before you go and then the moment you get back. Have you taught them 'trigger' words for toileting? I use 'hurry up' for a wee and 'quickly' for a poop, as he was doing (whichever) i continually say the given word and then praise when finished, he now does these on command though he is also barking at the back door when he needs to go outside to let me know.

Some of your problems will be sorted with the puppy training, we started ours 2 weeks ago and he's coming along brilliantly.

You need to be consistant and not just give command sometimes, otherwise you'll end up with a 'sometimes' dog.

Sounds like your doing all the right things but your oh's impatience will not make it easy for you :(

Dont give up, it will get better :D

3. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

The silly thing is he adored the puppies lol! he is just getting to the point where im worried he will have enough!

we say 'toilet' when we take them out and they do go! Max will go straight away and daisy will eventually!

We tried leaving them in the crate with the door shut but they just messed in it! on more than one occasion too which i dont understand as everyone on here says that they wouldnt do this?

Max wont listen when we tell him 'no' to stop barking etc just carries on lol!!!

4. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I cant imagine what it must be like to have 2 the same age. Is there anyone that can give you one on one time with each pup for a week at a time so you can focus. I bet you arent sure which one wee'd where!!!

Have they had any time apart as yet? It really is good for them and you to spend time apart and with you so they learn to respect and bond with you rather than just each other.

By 4 months they should be getting to grips with housetraining during the day. Are they crated?

I am sure it is very stressful at the moment but it will get better. As for your OH perhaps if you had a project 1 dog each competition!!!!

5. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Having two pups the same age is not generally adviseable. We have kept two from litters we've bred and it is much more hard work than keeping one as they do need time spent with them seperately.

What breed are they? To be honest, they dont sound that bad! Just like normal, cheeky 4 month old puppies. Im sure once they get into the training classes things will improve :)

6. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Do you mean you've got more than 1?

How experienced are you?

I can't honestly blame him - 2 puppies at the same time is not the best idea. It takes about 4 times the training of having one. They are still young but it will not get easier without a lot of effort.

If he is serious I would recommend only keeping one and contacting your breeder (although can't say much about a breeder that homes two pups together anyway).

7. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

I think having two dogs the same age can be a nightmare.
    What breed of dog are they?

What we done when we got our dogs, was 5 walks aday, Most say thats a crazy idea, but short walks (15 mins or so) spead during the day starts the brain working. Then they start to relise, being out means toilet.

This is all we done, to stop the mess in the house.

Training, Our dog training group took us at 12 weeks??
    But the day after we brought the dogs we was doing everything in one day.
    (That i would not recommend. lol)

What another poster said is a great idea, and makes it fun for you and your partner.

Both choose and pup each and make it into a competion between you.
    Or make games like, One week, One pup, first to toilet train.

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

There beagles aren't they? :D Love them..wouldn't have 1 though and certainly wouldn't have 2 the same age or as puppies. (My beagle x staffie is enough for me!!)

Sorry but the OH is just going to have to suck it up and take responsiblity for being part of the decision to have 2 beagle puppies, there is a very good reason rescues don't rehome 2 puppies to the same home, shame some breeders don't follow the same rules.

Sorry it sounds harsh and I can't help because I'm afraid it's what owning puppies is about. ;)

9. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Beagles??? Wow.. Brave person to take on two of those. Not the easiest of breeds. As for the recall PUT HER ON A LEAD!! Beagles are hounds, and hounds are known for not having the most reliable recall. If they see something they will run after it. The last thing you want is her running across a road and getting killed. Keep her on a lead unless you are somewhere safe and enclosed where you can practice the recall.

And yes, i cant think of many responsible breeders who would sell two puppies together....

10. Dundee

Dundee Banned

JSR - reputable breeders do - I don't know of anyone that would sell two puppies to the same home - that's why I suspect she won't get any help from the breeders as they won't be good breeders.

11. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

at the age of 4 months no dog will be properly trained, be it a single dog or 2 dogs lol

There are people having difficulties toilet training one dog and i think ur doing a good job so far.

I would advice u to crate train them if u dont already do, that worked wonders with mine regarding toilet training at night. Didnt matter how good i cleaned the floor their noses still managage to smell out their areas lol

I would advice to train them seperately and walk them seperately, its good for their own confidence and they get the chance to bond with u more or else they will get to depended on each other.

Training classes sound great, it will definitly make a difference!

Dont worry, it will get better, it just takes time and always reward the wanted behaviour with tasty treats :D

Ur OH will have to be patient as it takes time and effort to train dogs and soemtimes u make one step back before making two forward :)

12. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

well.... i know of 2 breeders which would do and they are reputable :)

13. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Oh I know that's why I didn't say all breeders. ;) To be honest I don't know why a breeder would help with this situation anyway it's just puppies being puppies by the sounds of it. Double trouble that's all! :D

14. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

If they do that then in my view they are not reputable. :smilewinkgrin:

15. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

well, i can assure u ur wrong ;) and i can judge best :)

16. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

17. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

I cant imagine any reputable, responsible breeder who has the best interest of their puppies at heart homing littermates together. I know when vetting homes for my babies i wouldnt dream of selling two together. I want them to have the best possible start, and life in the future, and IMO that means having all of the time spent on them individually for training and just for getting attention. Most "normal" pet owners would struggle training two puppies.

It may possibly be different if you're selling purely to show or working homes where the pups will be kennelled but i only sell to pet homes anyway as i raise mine in the house as pets :)

18. Dundee

Dundee Banned

There are exceptions - experienced competition folks will often either keep or buy several puppies at one time to bring on. This is very different though to people that buy two as pets.

I have also rehomed two dogs throughr rescue - but again, this was an exception as the dogs had been brought up together and separating them and rehoming them individually would have been worse than rehoming them together.

Except that's what people don't realise - two puppies are not double trouble - more like quadruple trouble :D

19. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

but u dont know nothing about the op, i for example didnt work and had all day for my pups, and they grew both into the most happiest dogs.

the last comment of urs i find worrying, why would it be different if its a show or working home? Surely a dog is foremost a loved pet before anything else :confused:

20. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Oh hun I am so sorry to hear you are having problems. I am having the same problem but with one beagle so I dread tio think what you are going through.

We went to class last night and he was dreadful barked all the way through, weed on the floor, wouldn't play nicely and was generally a little devil. The hall we meet in has a stage and all puppies were let off to mingle all of teh other puppies were sniffing each other then Buster got bored picked up the scent of something up behind the curtains on the stage and legged it with all other puppies following! I was so humiliated but the trainer was fantastic saying he's a puppy he doesn't understand its our job to teach him. Todays been hard trying to get him to sit, lie down, stand, stop barking and jumping on the furniture. I nearly cried last night when I saw the other puppies walking on leads without pulling and Buster was doing what he wanted.

The numerous times we have put Buster in his crate and he has howled all night - the husband actually said he wanted rid of him. He said at one point its me or the dog, of course he didn't mean it - or at least I hope he didn't. Hubby plays with him and loves him lots so I doubt he ever would.

We have regretted not getting two puppies as many beagle breed books suggest that they are kept in twos or at least with another dog, we are contemplating rehoming an adult beagle this week so that Buster has company of his own sort. But I do think if you have a relative good with dogs that one of yours goes to stay with them and that you spend time with each one seperately, at the moment they are the puppies and maybe when you have one seperate with the other it will help you.

I really do not envy you but well done for persisting - do not give up I know many many people who have had two or more beagle puppies living together. I was shocked last weekend to meet a few adult beagles and despite books suggesting that they are dreadful to train not one beagle looked naughty. They do apparently grow up to be loving, wel;-behaved pets in the end.

PM me if you ever need to let of steam hun xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice