Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nurofen

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kaz25, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kaz25

kaz25 PetForums VIP

Does nurofen contain ibruprofen? I don't take them any more because I was having problems with my stomach when I did (pains etc). I've got 2 cold sores and last time I had them I was given something strong like 800mg ibruprofen although that was abroad. Hoping the dr will give me something tomorrow but if nurofen has ibruprofen in it then I'm not sure I'll be able to take ibruprofen if that is what he wants to prescribe.

2. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

yes it does

3. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

yea nurofen is ibuprofen. exactly the same ingreedients which is why it tickles me every time someone buys nurofen rather than cheap ibuprofen hehehehe

4. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Yeah, Nurofen is just a brand name for ibruprofen.

Ibruprofen is usually for joint pains etc - I've never heard of it being given for cold sores before.

Just tell the doctor you've had a bad reaction to low doses of ibruprofen and they'll give you an alternative. Lots of people have this, so it won't be a problem.

I hope it goes well :)

5. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Sometimes if they prescribe ibroprofen (sp?) then they also prescribe something like lanzsoprozole (sp?) to help coat your stomach and cut down on side effects HTH xxxx

6. kaz25

kaz25 PetForums VIP

It's for the pain not the actual cold sore. Like I said, I was abroad last time I had one. They're very painful though so hoping they will give me something stronger than normal paracetamol.

7. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Oohh, well that makes a lot more sense!

There are plenty of alternatives to ibruprofen, it's just that ibruprofen is usually cheaper to prescribe. If you let your doctor know, they'll give you something else to take the pain away - a lot of doctors prefer to give an alternative now due to ibruprofen being widely over-prescribed and the risk of stomach ulcers etc.

8. porps

porps Swollen Member

wouldnt u be better off with bonjella or summat for cold sores?

9. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

i thought coldsore cream was the answer for them. or keep it as dry as possiable try not to crack it which isnt easy. drink through a straw, my sister gets them bad and she can only drink through a straw and can hardly talk. she uses normal coldsore cream.

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I have the same problem with Ibuprofen and when I tell doctors that when they tell me to take it they just say to take Paracetamol instead.

11. kaz25

kaz25 PetForums VIP

Bonjela is for ulcers, I'm using that too though as got a couple.

I use aciclovir that I get prescribed from the dr which dries it out. Need some more so another reason I'm going tomorrow so hoped I could get some painkillers too - save me buying them :D

12. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

If you pay for your prescriptions, you can get aciclovir way cheaper than the price of a prescription from say wilkinsons or any chemist .....i make sure i have a little tube handy all the time

13. kaz25

kaz25 PetForums VIP

Prescriptions are free in Scotland :D

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

jammy buggers :D:D:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice