UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried it? I'm umming and ah-ing between using this or Zylkene to help Breeze with her noise phobia/firework panic this year. Adaptil soothes her in the house but has little to no effect when out on noisy walks - will continue to use that but am looking at supplements again.

Dorwest's Skullcap and Valerian seemed to have no effect, M&C Serene-UM was a little better so that will be my fall-back plan.
Also using the sound CD alongside "happy things" like feeding time, kong, training and play - she's not too bothered by it up to a medium volume but still panics about gunshots on walks. If she hears one in the garden she isn't fussed!

Without wanting to sound like a tight-fisted miser, if Zylkene turns out not to work long term it's a lot of money to have spent for one of the big packs - money that could've gone towards something more effective!
Been thinking of ordering a trial pack of 10 zylkene, is that enough time to see any effects?

Any testimonials from people who've tried Nupafeed Stressless or Zylkene would be great :)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Has anyone tried it? I'm umming and ah-ing between using this or Zylkene to help Breeze with her noise phobia/firework panic this year. Adaptil soothes her in the house but has little to no effect when out on noisy walks - will continue to use that but am looking at supplements again.

Dorwest's Skullcap and Valerian seemed to have no effect, M&C Serene-UM was a little better so that will be my fall-back plan.
Also using the sound CD alongside "happy things" like feeding time, kong, training and play - she's not too bothered by it up to a medium volume but still panics about gunshots on walks. If she hears one in the garden she isn't fussed!

Without wanting to sound like a tight-fisted miser, if Zylkene turns out not to work long term it's a lot of money to have spent for one of the big packs - money that could've gone towards something more effective!
Been thinking of ordering a trial pack of 10 zylkene, is that enough time to see any effects?

Any testimonials from people who've tried Nupafeed Stressless or Zylkene would be great :)
I think thats what dogless was using and found it good, hopefully she will see your thread and confirm, there is also another going on zylkene and they have found that good too

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/268672-zylkene-alternative.html
Just in case you missed it couple of votes for zylkene on there.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SDH :)

If a mod sees this, I've put it in the wrong section - meant to put it in training & behaviour!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have used Zylkene in the past and for both my dogs after being on it full dose for a month it seemed to break the fear cycle for them, last year i didnt need to give it to my dog who was terrified of fireworks, when they went off he just looked up from his bed and did not bother at all, i have had to put him back on it at the moment as hes rather stressed due to having major spine op, i will after a month cut it down to 1 every other day then to just twice a week then stop all together,
Do you get it on-line? it is so much cheaper than at the vets.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Having read about Dogless' experiences with Stressless I recommended it to a client for her BC who is extremely sensitive to sounds and new things and who is generally very anxious. She is also DA/DR - she wants to sniff them but normally can't deal with them wanting to greet her.

She began on the starter dose of one in the morning and we all noticed made her more relaxed in non stressful situations. That sounds really strange, but she was less anxious in situations where she had been anxious for no reason. She was still however very anxious with buses, motorcycles, bin lorries - loud noises in general - and still the same with unknown dogs. As suggested the dose was increased to twice a day however this made no discernible difference so she has gone back to one dose a day.

They do already use Zylkene for fireworks season and are they find it effective in the house. I don't know if she was taking it at the time, but at 3pm one day at the end of November last year I was out walking her and a firework was let off and she freaked out :(

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Stress - Less has been fabulous for us; not for a noise phobia though. I started giving it twice per day for a month or so, then decreased it until I now only give it when I think a situation may be stressful or after a stressful event for a few days. It isn't a miracle substance in terms of making previously scary things non-scary altogether but really takes the edge off his anxiety and gives much more focus so training is more effective.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I tried stressless for Jackson and in spite of increasing the dose didn't notice any difference. Will probably use the rest of the bottle up when we have visitors. What I will say is the company were excellent. They emailed me and advised on several occasions and seemed genuinely interested in giving help.
Tried scullcap and valerian twice with a month's gap and noticed no difference except I got the feeling Jackson shivered more in the evenings on it. Our vets dog ate a free sample of 50 and showed no change in behaviour at all!! (found them in a shut cupboard).

I am seriously considering Zylkene but can't find too much on it regarding anxiety aggression

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.