Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Now I'm really confused

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bird, Jul 28, 2009.

1. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Been up to a rescue today to see if any playmates available for my boy and they've got this darling 6mth collie boy in :001_wub: turns out that the owners brought him in because he was chewing the new babies toys :eek:ut:
    Question is would two boys be ok together, Arnie is quite dominant in a non agressive way with other dogs his own age and he is also guilty of leading a 13yr greyhound astray i..e. left to their own devices near the woods Arnie leads him in and he's not allowed in there on his own as his eyesights not too good these days :rolleyes: This collie is just a baby when I approached his cage he got as close as he could to me and laid on his back so I could tickle his tum :D:001_wub:

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

As the collie is young and your dog is not agressive I think they would be ok.
    I think that your dog being dominant might help the pup settle in.

x

3. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

I think that would work out fine. By your description of the collie it seems to me as if he's submissive and since he is young he probably wont challenge your older dog. And since the older dog isn't aggressive, his dominance probably will be good for the collie.

Of course there are no guarantees that it will work out, but I think that it will be worth a try. I really think that the collie deserves a new home. I seems stupid to get rid of a puppy for chewing on toys :rolleyes:

4. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Could you let the rescue know you are interested in this dog and take your dog there so the 2 can meet/go for walk/have some off lead time together? i know things will be different once in your home but this would give them time to meet see how they get on,
    Good luck hope it works out well

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I have 4 males together of varying levels of 'dominance' or aggression and they live perfectly happily.;) No good rescue would allow you to take the dog anywhere without introductions to your exsisting dog anyway so there's no harm asking to take them for a walk together. ;) Good luck. :D

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I caved in and phoned the rescue this morning, am now waiting for the inspector to call me back. If the lady doesnt remember me (we had a bit of polite verbal last year) then she may come and inspect but I'm not holding my breath this rescue is notorious in this area for turning down people on the stupidist of reasons, there have been many complaints against them in the local papers and I know quite a few who have been refused a dog and none of us have worked out why, think your face just has to fit with this woman. However when and if you do make it through the inspection they do insist that you walk the dog before it goes home with you and if its a second dog they have to be walked together and then let in an enclosed field off lead together and if its all still ok then you get the dog. So all in all I'm not holding my breath even if I have passed inspection with a spaniel rescue, when I spoke to the rescue while I was there yesterday I was told that 3 homes have not passed inspection for this little boy yet.

7. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

I have 3 lads and no probs even with all the girlies running about too hehe
    good luck with the rescue hun:)

8. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

We have three boys two of which are entire and the rest of my pack are girls and they all get on very well together we have 8 intotal so I can't see your boy having to much trouble with a collie pup.

take care and good luck

Sarah

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Good luck with it. I think some rescues are ridiculous. So the poor pup is better in a kennel than going to a good home is it.

10. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I'v got my fingers crossed for you.

11. bird

bird PetForums VIP

The answer is a refusal over the phone, she will not home two dogs together of any age and she may consider me for a bitch ONLY when I have my boy neutered inspite of the fact they never let a dog go until they have been spayed. So I am allowed to express an interest in any bitches that may be in this rescue if I have him done. :mad:

12. bird

bird PetForums VIP

***** knew I shouldnt have gone there

13. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Sorry to hear that...

Some rescues are really not helping themselves!!!

Ive heard about that policy about 2 males together regardless of breed and age...mm..I can somehow understand the logic (still does not justify a blanket rule)
    But why force you to neuter your male dog??

Thats the kind of joke that is going to drive me away from rescues..ha well!

xx

14. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry. Please don't let it put you off rescue. Where abouts are you in the country (pm me if you'd rather) and I'll give you the best places to try. ;)Shame for the dog he would have had a lovely life with you. :(

15. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I am so sorry, and I feel for the poor dog who now has to stay in kennels longer because of a silly blanket rule.

There are so many dogs in rescue and in need of help I don't understand how they can just refuse you without even letting the dogs meet or meeting you.

16. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this :(

I don't get how they can just refuse you over the phone! I know they have rules but there are so many dogs in rescues now :( you'd think they would at least be prepared to meet you and your dogs

17. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

Seems a bit silly for a beaurocrat to so a point blank no without even assessing you.:cursing:
    There are so many poor dogs awaiting rescue, you would think the rehoming centers would go out of their way to help.:eek:ut:
    Im really sorry you didnt manage to adopt Dodger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice