Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Now I'm not racist....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gratch, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

but bloody foreigners sometimes! My mom was a nursery nurse when the big influx of eastern europeans in our town happened and she was quite happy to deal with the kiddies and try help them settle but alot of them started nursery with no knowledge of the english language at all, poor mites. The majority of the foreign moms took an interest though and were learning at the same time as the kiddies and helping them along. My mom gave it up last year due to health reasons but she still runs into people she worked with. Now, this wasn't a private nursery but alot of the more recent foreign moms have been giving lists of demands including one mom who absolutely will NOT tolerate her twins learning english! :mad: She expects them to keep eachother company, tells off other foreign children for speaking english to them and tells them not to play with polish kids. Her only words of english are apparently 'no english' and her sister has to communicate for her. It's really frustrating, she's making sure they'll be alienated outside of their community, teaching them to look down on the locals and ensuring school and work will be difficult as they grow older. What about when they need to go to the shops? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

2. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

thats wrong, if she is going to live and be a part of the community and this country she should speak english, its OUR country she came here not the other way round .. urgh

3. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

This is not a unique case it is happening all over the country and we, the British public tolerate it and even accept it.
    As a nation we now provide public documents and forms in many different languages and this gets up my nose in a big way.

I have lived many years in different countries and have made an effort to learn the language of each of them. I have mixed with the local communities in each of them and have been made so welcome for my efforts.

It seems that in the UK the foreign people amongst us want to have the own communities and our government encourage this along with the councils.

The world is now a place where nations mix and that will never stop but I do feel we should follow the examples of other nations and insist that foreign nationals conform. France is a great example.

Australia not so long ago issued a warning to all the foreigners who were "rocking the boat" by telling them that they chose to live in Australia not the other way round and if they didn't like it then go home and stop expecting Australia to change for them.

We can blame the government for most of this but we as individuals must also accept blame because we tolerate it. If we were to rebel and fight against it then perhaps the government would do something other than give them our hard earned cash.

:cryin:

4. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

It's a shame - for the kids as much as anything. English folk do this sort of thing all the time though. I don't understand why people don't want their kids to be bilingual, it's a real feather in their cap in later life if they know several languages.

5. Braighe

Braighe PetForums Member

Lots of expats all over the world, still cant speak a word of the language of the country they live in. We expect everybody to speak english to us! Much the same sort of thing I reckon.

6. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Yeah totally what I meant, and there is no intention to ever learn it. Such a shame!

7. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Those poor children are going to be so secluded :(

The main reason I wont move to a non-English speaking country is because I know I couldnt learn another language. I've tried but can't seem to get my head around it. Its the children I feel sorry for xxx

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

How many British people have lived in Spain for years and don't speak any Spanish other than hello, goodbye possibly thank you and a beer please? After all the bloody foreigners will understand English if you speak it loudly and slowly enough right? Neither case is right if you live in a country you should either speak or be learning the main language/s of the country and children learn so much faster than adults they'll pick it up anyway.

#8 Nicky10, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  9. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

If you are going to live in another country you should definitely learn the language in that country, just out of sheer manners to be honest.

To be honest i do believe the UK have a lot more foreigners come and live here than us go and live in other countries. :mad:

10. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

English is THE international language though (Something that really gets up the noses of the French)...spoken by nearly all diplomats for instance.

BUT...if I lived in a foreign land I would learn the lingo...If only to know when they were slagging me off...:D

11. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I have just been on a training course... There were Norwegans, Swedish, Finnish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mexican, Hungarian, Sudanese and English. The course was held in Budapest entirely in English. They all not only spoke perfect English but several of each others languages too. I can speak school girl french and a splatter of german but these people all spoke fluently. Their English was perfect, in fact their grammar was better than a couple of the English there to be honest. I felt a complete uneducated clot next to them. It was frankly embarassing. We as a race are very lazy when it comes to speaking other languages.

#11 northnsouth, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  12. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

The scandinavian lot tend to speak english extremely well and alot of them are self taught. I know this from having alot of them for friends :D They do cheat at the 'speaking eachothers languages' though as at the very least, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are very close to eachother.

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I have dutch friends who probably speak better English than I do they start learning at 5 and german at 7. Scandinavian people do speak very good English as well because the children are taught it from a very young age. After 10 or 11 our ability to learn languages goes way down we do need to start teaching kids other languages.

14. Many many years ago since I was it belguim , it were on business with my ex hubby, it was very complicated, the wife only spoke flemish, the husband spoke dutch and french (and a little english) my ex french and english - myself just english it were all being translated three ways!:eek:

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That sounds like the time I was trying to explain what a skull was in English to a German girl for an Indonesian person. At least they spoke pretty ok English but that was confusing

16. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Years ago delivering a yacht overland we had huge language difficulties at a German customs post...My boss rushed up and down the queue of cars pleading with anyone who could speak English...he found a guy, and with great relief dragged him back to the customs post.

"Please would you explain to these blokes that this is the only paperwork we have for the export of this yacht"

"I would, but there is a problem...you see,I'm Finnish and I don't speak German"

Back to square one...:D

17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

So this woman represents all 'bloody foreigners'? - What a stupid thing to say. I've travelled to lots of countries & have met many people who speak English fluently even street children in India who have had no schooling, it's embarsssing at times just how many 'foreigners' do make an effort that us Brits don't.

I know of lots of ex-pats who live as inf they are still in the UK, never learn the language, always mix with other ex pats & make no effort to learn anything about the country they live in - my uncle & aunt are very good examples of this.

RAINYBOW likes this.
  18. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I'm an ex-pat. I speak a little Arabic, but not much. Everyone speaks English here, because there are so many nationalities and Saudi relies on ex-pats. We don't learn other languages because, for the most part in many places in the world, we don't need to. Lazy, but true. :eek:

19. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I just speak louder and slower when abroad, i tend to get by.:D:D

20. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

No, I didn't say that did I? I'm implying that they can be highly frustrating sometimes when they are being difficult in a place they have chosen to live instead of staying in their own country where their actions wouldn't be annoying. 'Foreigners' is clearly a blanket term as, funnily enough everyone outside of the UK would be foreign. I have plenty foreign friends, albeit mainly of the scandi derivative. Am I not allowed to be annoyed that one has decided to live in my country and ban her kids from learning and speaking it's language? I'm not just mad at her terrible attitude, I'm mad at the further divide she's placing between the foreigners and locals she's creating. I'll bet you anything once those kids go to primary school and worse, secondary school there isn't a day they don't get abuse and they'll probably be coming home black and blue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice