Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Now 32oC indoors!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cbcdesign, Jun 20, 2017.

1. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Its so hot here today I am having to force air cool Duch with a large 18 inch Honeywell Fan. Apparently its still going to be 25oC at 10PM tonight! A lot of people and their dogs are in for a difficult night I think.

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

It's 28% in our living room now, the sun has gone off it and it's starting to cool down.

Just went to sit outside in the shade and it's still to hot for me so I'm back inside, with the fan going.

Last night, none of us got any sleep, poor Dillon was wondering round trying to find somewhere to settle. I wouldn't have the on fan on, as I kept thinking to might burst into flames why we were asleep.

3. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

In South Yorkshire it's cooler than yesterday, dull and with a nice cooling breeze.

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Isla has spent most of the day lying on the cold floor tiles in the kitchen, unfortunately for her these will be coming up soon when the new kitchen is fitted so I've no idea where she will flake out then. Even her cool mat isn't cool enough

5. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Why is a fan any more likely to burst into flames than any other motor in your home including your central heating pump motor during the winter or your fridge and freezer motors? At least a fan motor is air cooled! Properly fused its not likely to catch fire to be honest.

I kept a fan on all night and consequently slept.

Dr Pepper and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

[QUOTE="cbcdesign, post: 1064897253, member: 1415677"]Why is a fan any more likely to burst into flames than any other motor in your home including your central heating pump motor during the winter or your fridge and freezer motors? At least a fan motor is air cooled!

I kept a fan on all night and consequently slept.[/QUOTE]

I have not idea, I don't trust it and the noise drives me mad.

Dr Pepper likes this.
  7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

A fear of fire isn't something that can be explained away. And things do catch alight unexpectedly. Ask the guy whose fridge started the Grenfell fire.

ForestWomble likes this.
  8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

The fans we have at work are on the go 24/7 this weather and seem perfectly safe to me! Although I get where you are coming from with the noise, I cant have one on if Im trying to sleep...drives me bananas!

We have another day of horrible hot weather here in the SE tomorrow.:( I'll probably do what Ive done for the last couple of days with the dogs, a quick wander around the park opposite me on a long line in the morning then back indoors all day.
    All of my lot seem to be coping ok and are just sleeping alot. Although they are freaking out abit that the gardens that surround us are all of a sudden filled with noise and people!:rolleyes:
    (more worried about the cat TBH! She is 18 and I think she is struggling to get comfortable).

9. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

10. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I can answer why things explode, or go off like smoke alarms etc. in the middle of the night! It is because there is less electricity surging through the circuit and during the day time, when more electric things are in use, surges in power accommodate them, at night, they're not so efficient, so any faulty "surge" is more likely to cause a spark in the system and cause a potential fire. So I was told. Not sure whether it's true of not, but sounds feasible to me.

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Driving me insane this, I'm an out door person but heat makes me ill. Gonna have to try and get up at the crack of dawn again tomorrow, so I can escape for a couple of hours

HarlequinCat likes this.
  12. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Perhaps putting a surge plug on the appliance will help with this sort of thing

13. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Whoever told you that is completely wrong I am afraid. The mains is more stable at night because there is less fluctuating demand. Its sudden demand or drop in demand from particular electrical devices that causes surges or brown outs. Inductive loads and switching introduces noise and spikes which can cause that sort of issue but that is far more likely to occur during the day when people are working and demand is higher. That said our supplies are very well regulated and a motor in a fan isn't going to catch fire due to a momentary surge anyway. Overloading motors is a far more likely cause of failure than a momentary spike on the supply, something like a bearing failure or something clogging the blades and preventing the motor from turning being typical culprits.

A well made fan from a reputable manufacturer properly fused isn't likely to cause problems. You could use a surge suppressor to run the fan if worried and of course all diligent households should have smoke detectors.

If you don't like the fan noise well that's a shame I guess, you are not alone with that problem.

kittih likes this.
  14. steveshanks

I agree with this especially after watching some you-tube videos about some items that are imported and for sale on ebay, some things you can take a risk with but if its always on i wouldn't chance it.

15. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

My living room says it's 88 degrees.

16. steveshanks

I thought you were in the USA? have i got mixed up there :oops:

17. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I like hot weather but even I'm bored of this now lol. Sitting here sweating like a pig and it's boring not being able to do much with the dogs. Look forward to it cooling down by the end of the week!!

cbcdesign likes this.
  18. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Yep absolutely. The cheap junk sold via Ebay doesn't meet EU standards and is often very dangerous. In the EU simple things like flame retardant coatings on cables and motor windings hugely reduce the risk of fire in the event of failure. Many cables used in the EU for instance are self extinguishing. The cheap junk from overseas that doesn't meet the standards and can catch fire very easily if it fails is inherently dangerous. Where electrical appliances are concerned always buy quality.

19. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

We got lucky in Scotland. It's around 20C, blue sky with a slight breeze. So perfect for doing outdoor things without getting overheated. Sorry to everyone who's melting!!

20. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Senior

@Aahlly

it's now 13 degrees in my bit of Northumberland. Took the dog to my parents for a run in their front garden and had to come in after 40 mins as I was cold.

Hope everyone gets some sleep tonight in the warmer places.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice