Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Novice chicken mum needs advice

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by Belina, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Belina

Belina PetForums Newbie

I recently rescued four little brown chickens from an egg farm, they were all very underweight and had been picked on by the others lots of missing feathers. All of the girls are looking so much better and have put weight on. But whilst three of them are doing chicken things happily foraging and showing their sweet cheeky nature's. The fourth one won't mix with them at all she actively avoids being anywhere near them. They don't bully her at all, she is with them in the coop at night with no problems. She needed more intensive care of the group and was very weak we didn't think she would make it at first. She would much rather be with me she comes straight for the house when she is let out in the morning and clucks very loudly on the back doorstep until I open the door and spends the rest of the day following me around. She jumps up at me until I pick her up and then she snuggles straight into my shoulder and purrs like a cat! Which I find adorable and must admit her cuddles are wonderful. I just worry that she isn't mixing with her own kind and wonder if there is a way I can gently encourage her to bond with the other girls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I am not experienced with chickens and would like to do the right thing

Lizzie Bond likes this.
  2. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

I had the same problem with one of my rescue caged hens, she was terrified of the other hens but loves human contact. It's taken 3 weeks but she is now mixing with the other hens and is part of the feathered family. So I think it just takes time for shy hens to trust others.

3. Belina

Belina PetForums Newbie

Time has definitely improved things she is happy to mix with them now thank goodness and they are a happy little gang. She still takes any opportunity she can to have a cuddle which is perfect . I found her having a nap in my sofa the other day cheeky monkey

Beth78 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice